Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
David53
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Squeaky Bushes

Post by David53 »

When I rebuilt the back end recently I fitted new poly bushes throughout. All is good except the right front spring hanger which is squeaking loudly and driving me crazy! I have tried spraying lubricants into the hanger but it has made no difference. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Squeaky Bushes

Post by mike.perry »

I normally smear poly bushes with grease before I fit them
[sig]3580[/sig]
David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

The red stuff you use for brake cylinders ok?

I think what has caused it is that I needed to fit a new pin to replace the old one which was damaged. The new pin has a slightly larger diameter head than the original (yet another difference between very early cars and later ones) which means it doesn't fit all the way into the plate on the hanger. It's possible the bush may be distorted as a result. Have ordered a new pin, plate and bushes so guess I will just try fitting those. Do you think it will be possible to lever the spring down out of the hanger without dismantling the propshaft or the other side?

[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The red Rubberlube is expensive, I would use something cheaper like Castrol LM, OK on polybushes. Just support the axle and drop the spring off it
Last edited by mike.perry on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I use red rubber grease, yes, a bit more costly, but cheaper and less time spent than having to replace the bushes again!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

It's worth checking with your supplier WRT the pin ... I know when I replaced mine a while back they had a batch which had been machined to the wrong size. If you are using a reputable supplier then they should be able to send you a fresh set that are the correct size (ESM did this for me at no extra charge)
David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

That's interesting - mine were indeed from ESM and I have just received the replacement ones which DO seem to be a bit smaller. I also ordered the plates as well to be sure. Will fit tomorrow and hopefully no more squeak!
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

Well, job done and after a short run no squeak :D

Here is a pic of the new pins, one in the new locating plate and one in the original. As you can see, the pin head is too large to fit snugly into the original plate, but fits perfectly into the new pate. The pin was also a little too long, meaning that even with the new plate fitted the head protruded slightly. I was able to carefully bend out the side of the spring hanger very slightly which helped. Re- assembled with lashings of red rubber grease (I have a big tub bought on eBay for $10) and seems job done.

[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green