HELP! Traveller/Minor owners Devon direction.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rupertfinch
MMOC Member: No

HELP! Traveller/Minor owners Devon direction.

Post by rupertfinch »

Hello good folks of the Morris community. I'm wondering if anyone can provide any help/assistance to me?

I'm getting married on the 29th December in Kingskerswell, Devon and having my reception in Cullompton. My bride-to-be is an unusual girl - in that modern motors don't appeal. Her ideal wedding car would be a traveller! I've gone through all the usual routes of vehicle hire (for minor convertibles/saloons/travellers) and none are able to accommodate or are simply too far away.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has a suitable vehicle that may be available on Saturday 29th? It would travel from Newton Abbot, to Kingskerswell and then a leisurely jaunt up to Cullompton (I would be happy to leave it back on Sunday/have it collected on Saturday at the venue) and would of course compensate the owner handsomely.

About me - a random request from a new member? I'm a 33 year old Geography teacher from Northern Ireland, I have a clean driving licence and never had any accidents/claims/convictions etc, I have all my own teeth. I am in the process of restoring a Renault Clio Williams 2 (the one on the banner head of www.williamsclio.co.uk if you're interested, ending VSF) and ever since my return from the maternity ward I've had an unhealthy interest in cars - my father apologised to his new-born son as his Sunbeam Ti had not arrived at the dealers yet. I've also owned 205gtis but one day will buy the 1976 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S that I've been a passenger in (I shall of course not tell the soon-to-be wife of such a purchase). I appreciate the respect with which older cars must be treated.

So that's enough rambling...thank you for your time.
Mark (rupertfinch)
customjob
Minor Fan

Re: HELP! Traveller/Minor owners Devon direction.

Post by customjob »

Hi Mark, congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. Although i'm not in your area of the request I'd suggest you contact the Avon or Devon and Cornwall Branch. However I can see a problem with the legality of your request. And that is as you are asking to pay for the use of such a vehicle which without going into boring detail would breach the Road Traffic Act and the Motor Vehicles Insurance Use Regulations, Under normal regulations of insurance it's stated on the policy NOT for HIRE or REWARD. The owner would not be able to allow you to drive the vehicle on his/her insurence under these circumstances, nor would the owner be able to drive you or the bride or both, Nor would you be able drive the vehicle on your insurence under these circumstances, even if it states you can drive any other vehicle, NOT BELONING TO OR HIRED TO THE POLICY HOLDER as you are technically entering into a hire agreement. Best of luck.

rupertfinch

Post by rupertfinch »

Many thanks for that information - the legalities of such things are always a minefield. I totally agree regarding the 'hire or reward' clause on insurance documents, just in my manic panic I'd neglected to consider this.

Perhaps, if a 'friend' wanted to drive me and my bride to my reception, I could 'accidentally' leave suitable compensation behind. Not a reward, just a forgetful passenger!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You can compensate the owner for expenses incurred and make a donation to charity. As for driving the car, that depends on the wording of your insurance policy. It is also worth noting that the Traveller is a very different car to drive than a Williams Clio.
The Cornwall Morris Minor Club is independent of the MMOC.
[sig]3580[/sig]
pgc520
Minor Fan

Post by pgc520 »

Have you tried Tim Lang classics as they hire Minors and MGBs etc
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512