GIVING UP A MODERN CAR

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
samuria
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

GIVING UP A MODERN CAR

Post by samuria »

i'am think of giving up my modern car... and just use my
tax exempt landy and minor(when i get it sorted)
mates have told me i would lose my n.c.d on my
insurance? which is full,
i know that classic insurance dont have ncd....

your thoughts please :-?
Dean
Minor Legend

Re: GIVING UP A MODERN CAR

Post by Dean »

My wife had a company car that was insured by the company she work for after building up a full no claims bonus. She had this company car for four years, before they took it back and discontinued having company cars.

Re-insuring her newly purchased car did mean she lost her no claims and had to start again. Fortunately as she hadn't claimed inbetween, they gave her a quote based on her "claims history".

I'm thinking if the rules are still the same, provided you don't make a claim, your insurance (even with zero no claims) wouldn't hit the roof if you went back to a modern.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Insure your moggie under a non classic policy,is one way to keep your ncd,there may be others
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

lambrettalad wrote:Insure your moggie under a non classic policy,is one way to keep your ncd,there may be others

never thought of that...
will see what the quotes come back like :wink:
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

did a couple of online quotes.....
i was shocked at the prices... nearly as much
as my bmw m3 :roll: :roll: :roll:
they must be trying it on :x
Ratbag

Post by Ratbag »

Why would you want to go back though?
I'm running a 1964 Traveller as my only vehicle now.
(I did also move house to eliminate my commute though!).

Phil.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Back in my mid 20's I lost 6 years NCD when I changed ove to run just my Minor via a classic policy.

Apparently, NCD will last 2 years - therefore consider the option of leaving only 1 yr 11 months gap in between.
You probably don't need a full year's 'normal' insurance either... just make sure you get a new NCD statement when the policy expires / is terminated.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Ask your insurer if they will store your NCB - you can't use it on a classic policy but they keep it 'ticking over'. This is what mine have done.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Phyllis was my first car and when I bought a modern for daily use, I explained the situation to my new insurers who happily gave me the 4/5 years NC after my insurers (AON, now FJ) wrote a note to them explaining my claims history.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

We've been running classics as our only car for a few years now, not really too worried about the ncd as if we ever need something a bit more modern a lot of classic car insurers count 15 years old as classic on some models :)
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Depends if you ever want to go back to modern motoring.

I have been using a Minor everyday since 2005 and I have lost my no claims, but I thought about it and I don't want a modern car.

If I ever NEED one as a tow car, etc then I use the wife's Mondeo (I'm a named driver on her policy), so for me I have lost my NCD and it's really not a problem. :D :D :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

We're all different but it would be hard to deny the comfort and effortless motoring a 'modern' car can provide, especially on long haul. So maybe it's down to how you use a car.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Recently been reading a trade auto magazine (free monthly at trade counters) - full of horror stories about what can go wrong with a 'modern' - and how expensive it can be to put it right - with multiple 'special tools' and measurement devices needed......and always renew the X, Y and Z while doing this job.... And then there's the Dual Mass Flywheel........ which they somehow claim makes a huge improvement to the fuel economy........ It's all certainly food for thought! Minors are so easy to repair - and parts are extremely low cost compared to anything for a modern. The mag is also full of tips on how to maximise income......which I find slightly worrying. Oh and don't dare refer to a fan belt anymore -since no modern cars have belt driven fans - it's now the FEAD - Front End Auxiliary Drive........ and full of silly adverts about 'FEAD'ing and so on........... :roll:
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

pskipper wrote:We've been running classics as our only car for a few years now, not really too worried about the ncd as if we ever need something a bit more modern a lot of classic car insurers count 15 years old as classic on some models :)
Indeed they do. I was quite surprised to be able to insure my Renault 5 and Land Rover Defender on my classic car policy :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Hmm I'm about to find out how this will work - I'm just in the process of changing our 270000 mile 20 year old Merc diesel for a 'modern' with dual mass flywheel so have already got a conversion kit to turn the dual mass to normal solid flywheel, eliminated a useless eco device that causes no end of problems (with no measurable eco benefit) and some software and a special lead so I can get into the ECU and see what's going on.

Even where I don't do the work myself, if the garage knows I've already poked about with the OBDII lead they will be less likely to pretend the fault is a £1000 one.

I'm hoping it's just a case of learning the foibles and getting a sense of how it all goes together. Hopefully like dwell angle. Intimidating at first but simple once you get a 360 degree protractor and a spare bulb and bit of wire.