Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wishbone
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

electronic distributor

Post by wishbone »

I replaced my old distributor with a brand new 45d distributor and decided to try the electronic version.

I have installed it with number 1 at tdc and roughly pointing the rotor to number one too (took the old out like this), but as my old one was a 25d it looks different and I dont have a point on reference to help set the timing. Can you static time these? the sheet that comes with it suggests not. I have tried starting it (no luck yet) and moving it a bit then trying again etc.

Whats the best way?
[sig]5824[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: electronic distributor

Post by bmcecosse »

Just move it till the engine starts - then swing it back and forth to give the best idle, and finally road test and adjust until it is 'not quite' pinking.
ImageImage
wishbone
Minor Friendly

Post by wishbone »

I tried again at the weekend to get the car started but with no luck. I have a spark at the plugs and it even fired a couple of times but with the sudden kickback of advanced timing. I've turned it this way and that way, everyway but upside down! I'm not impressed. In the 6 years that I've had the car, pre-rebuild post rebuild, head gasket blown you name it but it's never failed to start other than a flat battery etc. I reckon I'll chuck the electronic unit and put the points back on. At least I can static time it then! Was just looking to gain a few mpg's as the distributor was being replaced due to faulty vacuum and metal pipe anyway. Still ran like that though :(
[sig]5824[/sig]
John.n
Minor Friendly

Post by John.n »

have you got the leads on the right plugs? does it even "try" to start or nothing at all?
you could try swapping the rotor arm for the original one as I have read that this has been a problem before.
are the spark gaps right?
p.s sorry if you have checked this.
Regards,
John
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

sounds like 1 cylinder out for timing
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
wishbone
Minor Friendly

Post by wishbone »

Plug leads are numbered 1-4 by myself to avoid any confusion, but will double check at the weekend (Cars at mother in laws). I guess I could have put the distributor in un aligned. I'm not sure if they fit in more than one place and as mentioned it is a 45d now rather than the 25d before so visually it's different. I set it to tdc on 1 before removing the old one then put the new one in with the vacuum on the top left and electric wires coming out roughly where the old ones did. It will turn left till vacuum hits the oil sensor, right until it looks rediculous. I don't know how to line it up so will put the points in and get it started then if I feel that way inclined I may try re-fitting electrics again after marking the dizzy and hope they don't change the timing that much!

I didn't actually gap the plugs but they looked ok and it started fine with the old unit?
[sig]5824[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You will just need to keep trying - it Will run - although it won't improve the mpg........
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

From your description of fitting the distributor you didn't take enough notice of where the rotor arm was pointing.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Andy Rose
Minor Friendly

Post by Andy Rose »

Hi Wishbone, I discovered that even though the instructions only talk about dynamic timing with a strobe, you can in fact staticly time the electronic distributor. You can use a lamp, the same way as for traditional points. Connect one side of the lamp to the negative terminal of the coil and the other to earth. When the coil is charging the electronic module will be switched on and the lamp will be off.When the magnet passes over the centre of the module, it switches off, fires the coil and the lamp comes on.Set the crankshaft up to the timing mark,switch on the ignition and turn the distributor anti clockwise until the lamp is off and then move the distributor clockwise until the lamp just lights. You may well be able to hear a click from the module, which may well save you playing with a lamp in future..good luck :D
Life is better in a Morrie
wishbone
Minor Friendly

Post by wishbone »

OK. I thought I'd just update what the outcome was here!

I went back to have another go at getting this started and finaly figured out how I'd messed up. I think the whole electronic ignition thing and changing type of dizzy had blown my mind! The dizzy wouldn't turn far enough anti-clockwise as the vacuum was hitting the sensor/connector plug. Instead of bending the sensor out of the way I just assumed this must be in the correct position. So now the only way I could get the timing light to light on 1 was by turning the dizzy the in the wrong direction with the effect of timing it after the rotor had passed! For some reason this seemed fine to me! Until I went back and looked at it today with a clear head and could see the problem straight away! Bent the sensor timed it properly and started first time!! Two days in the freezing cold blaming everything and everyone for nothing! Just glad it's running now even if I do feel like a proper twit!
[sig]5824[/sig]
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

I nearly blew the engine in my Mini by not priming the oil pump (BMCe saved my bacon again!)
So not timing the engine correctly is nothing!
Well done on getting it sorted though.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:D :wink:
ImageImage