Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fitting spot lights?

Post by wickermonkey »

Ive managed to aquire some lucas spot lights and im not sure if there is anything special i need to do when fittnig them. not sure yet wether to fit them to come on with the high beam (battery - fuse - foot switch - light - earth) or to fit them as driving lights and have them on a seperate switch just incase plod aint impressed.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Fitting spot lights?

Post by bmcecosse »

Why do you need spots -are you going Rallying? Best to fuse them independently - and run a relay from high beam - the relay switching the spots. I always took mine off in daylight to prevent unecessary breakage (and theft) - so a quick release bar and plug/socket is a good idea.
ImageImage
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly

Post by wickermonkey »

sorry I didnt know spot lights were a rally specific option! whats next? being questioned why ive got chrome but not going to any show and shine comps
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Period auxiliary lights are fine in my book and add a nice touch to the front end.
Mine are wired and switched individually with in line fuses but each to his own as they say. :D[frame]Image[/frame]

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

wickermonkey wrote:sorry I didnt know spot lights were a rally specific option! whats next? being questioned why ive got chrome but not going to any show and shine comps
:wink: :wink:

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

A pair of fog lights wired through the dip switch give a wider beam coverage around bends on country roads.
No I do not rally my Series MM but it gives me a chance of spotting the deer before it jumps out in front of me
[sig]3580[/sig]
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Have had a pair of Lucas SLR700 spot lights on various cars in the 60's and on the Minor since the early 70's (same pair of bodies, but a couple of replacement lens units). 55w halogen bulbs with transverse filaments give a superb long range beam (the original axial filaments are too 'pencil' beam, and very little spread) and are wired from the 'high' beam via a separate fuse and relay. Wouldn't be without them on a cross-country trip at night.

With 100w main beam halogen headlight bulbs, in the classic concave Cibié units, plus the 2 spots, they are much better on main beam that either of our 'moderns' with xenon HID units. Dip (80w) is good on the Minor, sharp cut-off etc., but not a patch on the xenons!
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You do know the 100/80 bulbs are illegal for highway use Richard..... 8) Personally I think Minors 'decorated' with extra spotlights and badges look terrible - but as others have said - each to their own...... :roll: Extra lights fitted for a useful purpose are of course another matter - hence my Q if the car would be rallying! :lol:
ImageImage
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

100/80 bulbs are illegal for highway use
Yes, but they are properly adjusted, and I have never been flashed by oncoming traffic and no comments from the MOT man either.
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:roll: :lol:
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Same with the 130/90W bulbs on my Traveller. No need for spots, just an alternator and heavy duty wirng
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And a relay I hope....... :wink:
ImageImage