Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
George Smathers
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Why isn't the fuel pump fused?

Post by George Smathers »

I'm replacing the wire loom in my 1967 and I have a question about the wiring. I'm adding headlamp relays (to go up in wattage) and more fuses.

Is there a reason that the fuel pump is not on a fused circuit? I can see why the headlamps aren't fused (to avoid cutting out and causing a crash) but why the fuel pump? I'd rather have a dead fuel pump than a hot one.

Thanks,

George[frame]Image[/frame]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Why isn't the fuel pump fused?

Post by MarkyB »

I'm pretty sure the coil isn't fused either.
I expect the logic is that even with no fuses the engine will still run.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Fuse it if you wish. No point fitting headlamp relays 'to go up in wattage' since higher wattage is not legal on the highway - and the standard wiring won't safely carry more amps anyway. The headlamp switch is not a limiting factor on a Minor. You are needlessly complicating what is a very simple/easy to work on wiring system.....
ImageImage
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I think it's legal to go to a higher wattage on the main beam at least in the US where George is, just check this out before because you could overheat your lamps. http://jollyrogersmotors.com/blog/2

The diagram you sent is the easiest one to understand I've seen, I do think it would be a good idea to add fuses to the main beams and fuel pump, and just carry extra fuses with you.

I'd use an inline fuse for the lights and for the fuel pump there are caps that have a fuse holder built in like this one. http://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spare ... royce.html

I'm leaving the headlamps stock and I'll drive the car first to see if I need any more power, but I might add a couple of fuses now that you brought that up.
Gabriel
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Post by George Smathers »

Thanks guys. 55/60 watts is legal in most US states. I set up a high beam and a low beam relay. The stock switches in the cabin (dash and floor) see low wattage and they then switch the relays. The relay then uses it's own thicker wire to draw from a new fuse panel, which it then sends to the lights through new wires. I kept the same blue/white and blue/red colour codes and I marked up the shop manual for any future owner.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

55/60 is not 'higher wattage' then..... Carry a fire extinguisher for when it all goes wrong........... :oops:
ImageImage
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

dont warry its not fuse - it not damege from ur battery volt - if it had a fuse u have to change more fuses on the way