Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Boris64
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rotor arm failure

Post by Boris64 »

After a without warning failure, I tracked the problem to the rotor arm by simply replacing the new one (4,000 miles) small on the right with the old one. Nil cost very happy :D

Can anyone advise what the failure was before I buy a spare?

The new/failed one on the right has what appears to be a brass liner in contact with the dizzy shaft whereas the old one appears to be all 'plastic'.

Thanks.

Pete[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Rotor arm failure

Post by mogbob »

Pete
Go to http://www.distributordoctor.comfor the explanation and the source of a reliable replacement if you can't get hold of an old genuine rotor arm.
As well, it refers to other sources of supplies.He's very helpful and knows what he's doing !!.A satisfied customer..no other connection.
Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Learning Point from this of course - is to AVOID these horrible new rotor arms ! If you have one in your dizzy - it WILL fail - so change it out NOW.
ImageImage
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Just home (in my minor) from a fellow minor owner friends house. His minor sputtered and stopped outside his house (very lucky) during the week. He checked the fuel pump and it was pumping OK. He then checked the distributor points and they were sparking well, he then removed a plug and it wasn't sparking. He then phoned me asking what to do next. I said well it must be the rotor arm, so I called today with a new one. And it fired instantly as minors do. I always carry 2 spare rotor arms, one black Lucas and one red made by distributor doctor.

Boris64
Minor Fan

Post by Boris64 »

Bob, Bmc, Minor65

Thanks for replies. The Dizzy Doc site is very clear on the issue, thanks.

I ran through exactly the same sequence of checks in parallel this morning with the same outcome :D

I do struggle with the idea of buying 'Lucas' parts in green boxes to find they are below spec rubbish.

Pete
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

avoid the ones with rivits on they short out
[sig]5641[/sig]
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

For ignition parts Distributor Doctor is now the only supplier I use, the quality is excellent.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.