Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

The Issigonis Kid finds his car.

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

Well it's took a year, got to see two cars ! enquired about seven, three got sold before I could view them but finally found one. It took a month to negotiate the price, everything was done on email and here we are. I could have got one within months if I hadn't been fussy about colour.
5am start from Sheffield then down to Kent, had a good look round it, paid the agreed price and drove it back, reached Sheffield at 8pm.
[frame]Image[/frame]

I must confess, I had to increase my budget a tad and the vendor was kind enough to drop his price but everyones happy.

The car is a 1961 948cc Delux ? Leather, Ashtrays, Carpets and a Heater. Claphand wipers and excellent wood (although it has had a repair on the bottom N/S/R. Recon engine, new gearbox, few patches underneath but no rust. Drives spot on.[frame]Image[/frame]

Needs rear lights lining up properly, really good leather feed, seats rebanding and the parcel tray / glovebox bins replacing.

The car has the original KJO reg number which is Oxford, Issigonis was busy designing the Austin Morris 1100 then so he would have been driving round in a top of the range smoker back then, but who knows, maybe it was Reg Jobs demo ! Heritage certificate and DVLA history check will be done soon.

All good things come to those that wait and thank you to all the kind support over the last year.

The Issigonis Kid
Last edited by The Issigonis Kid on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
LouiseM

Re: The Issigonis Kid finds his car.

Post by LouiseM »

Well done - the right car is worth waiting for. Looks very nice :P

Eric - 1971 Traveller
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Very good, hope to see it at the national rally this weekend!

Too many Minors so little time.....
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Looks a great honest car! Well done, I cleaned my leather seats with "Naf" saddle soap, it cleans and softens the leather, then when dry lots of "Conollys" hide food, it comes up lovely! :D
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

At LONG last!

You were waiting for the right car for the right price, sadly I am
waiting for the wrong car for the wrong price!!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Would look nice in white :)
RichG
Minor Friendly

Post by RichG »

LOOKS FAB . WELL DONE !! HOPE YOU GET MANY YEARS OF ENJOYMENT WITH IT ,

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Mr.I

Any chance of e-mailing me a copy of the Heritage Certificate?

Cheers
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Well done I K nice car, can we have more pictures :-)

I will look out for it driving around Sheffield, did you have any reservations about driving it all the way back or where you confident that you would be ok

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Now then,

Tysonn - White looks great on Convertibles with Red Hoods, Duo Tone interiors and cute brides in them, mbo145 - thanks, I'd already read your previous posts! (see below) and Blades - you'll probably see me round Meadowhall, Chapeltown Stocksbridge area (but only on a nice day).

Regards my leather clean, I plan to do this by purchasing a rubbish set of seats allowing me time to remove the original seats, replacing the webbing and bases with new foams at the same time. I can then carefully clean up the leather, nourish it and sew up a couple of minor split seems.
Do the later viynl 1000 seats fit in the same holes as the earlier 1000 seats ? When this is done I can then resell the rubbish seats. This should be a nice indoor job over winter. It'll keep me quiet whilst the wife watches Made in Chelsea or whatever other rubbish is on.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Was winding you up about the colour!
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Nice car. Who fitted the rear lights - Stevie Wonder? :-?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Rear Lights really let it down, I'm going to move the reflectors below the hinges. It will involve one light being moved though to line up with the other. The reflector will fill the hole from the light I have to move. I hope it's an easy job.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

A lovely looking traveller..well done for holding out for the right one..

Taupe
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

IK

I'm the other side of the city to you Gleadless/ Waterthorpe but will still keep an eye out

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Good plan with the seats! Not sure if the fixings are the same, I expect they are, I know they are at the front, it is odd with the old leather seats as it is often the stitching that rots first, but once apart it is fairly easy to re-stitch by hand or speak to a leather worker or even a shoe repairer! Good luck
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!