Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lee_rob
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Door trim plugs

Post by lee_rob »

Ok so I purchased some plastic door plugs which go into the door where the door card clips on. They are what stop the retaining clip rattling in the door and as mine were old and brittle and most of them were missing the door card rattled like mad. Just tried to fit the plastic plugs and they are way too big. Anyone else had the same issue?
New plug on the right and old on the left for comparison.[frame]Image[/frame]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minor Saloon 1968 - Smoke grey
tysonn
Minor Legend

Re: Door trim plugs

Post by tysonn »

Are you sure these are for the mog?I've removed and replaced plenty of door cards and never seen them on mine.If the clips rattle just spread the spring a little before insertion.The reason they don't fit in the hole is that they shouldn't be there.
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Don't they go just in the bottom holes? I bought some and didn't use them cos I had enough origonal old ones for 1 door but the other door was a van door so didn't need them. Only discovered this after I bought them. I'll measure them with a vernier if you like. If they are ok I'll post em for postage

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Those plastic plugs (as came out of the door) as absolutely 100% correct on at least the later cars, I have seen plenty of examples. The replacement one that you have is, I am afraid, a typical modern part that isn't to the correct specification. I have experienced exactly the same problem. One alternative solution that might work is to stick gaffer tape over the hole, pierce a small hole in it with a sharp implement, and then push the trim xlip in so that it enlarges the hole in the tape as it goes.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I still aren't convinced.Where did you buy them?Were they sold as being for the mog door?I won't be convinced until I see them listed on a spares suppliers stock list.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Well I just found them on ESM website!!!20p each!Of course if they don't fit in the hole,then presumably if the clip won't fit in the plug,will I bother?All the cars I've had must have lost them over the years.
lee_rob
Minor Friendly

Post by lee_rob »

I did indeed buy them from ESM and yes they are supposed to be there only most of mine have gone brittle and dropped out over the years. I have all new clips too but the door card rattles like fury driving me mad. I am gonna speak to esm as they seem to be stocking many shoddy parts at the moment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I can only add that I have none(and have never had any)in any of my mogs and have never heard them rattling in the door.My 84 golf gti has none,my 54 wolseley has none and they don't rattle either.Just widening the gap in the clip will stop yours rattling.
lee_rob
Minor Friendly

Post by lee_rob »

tysonn wrote:I can only add that I have none(and have never had any)in any of my mogs and have never heard them rattling in the door.My 84 golf gti has none,my 54 wolseley has none and they don't rattle either.Just widening the gap in the clip will stop yours rattling.
Just because you don't have them doesn't mean they are not correct. I checked a friends minor of a similar age and he has them too albeit in a similar brittle state. I tried widening the clips but still does it.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

LOL I was trying to help but of course you're right.How about using something like this over the clip before you push the card back on?Should stop the clip going right in the door and provide a bit of cushioning.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M5-5mm-THICK- ... 53f4699cdd
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

These plugs from esm won't fit unless you place them in boiling water to soften them. Once heated, press them into holes on door whilst still pliable.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Barry Brown
Minor Friendly

Post by Barry Brown »

I had the same items from ESM. I fitted mine on a hot day and after the door had been waxoyled so they slipped in nicely albeit tight, which is what I would have expected.
Mine is an October '68 2d saloon and they were fitted around all 3 edges. It was only the top holes that didn't have them but then those holes are smaller anyway so it all seemed correct.