Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tysonn
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Seat cover vinyl

Post by tysonn »

I realise I can Newton Commercial but its Sunday and I thought maybe someone on here may know the answer.Having looked at their highback seats but not wanting to pay £1000 for a pair(and thats vinyl not the leather versions) I am wondering if I can just buy the blue vinyl material(car is smoke grey)and get my trimmer friend to recover a set of Ka seats I have.Has anyone bought the correct material from any source?
Mick
beamand
Minor Friendly

Re: Seat cover vinyl

Post by beamand »

I have been looking as well as I want to do my duotone seats myself but so far have not been able to find the right material have tried most places I know including Marine upholsterers, would love to find the supplier. So if anyone has the answer put us out of our misery
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

I saw some blue vynyl in Abakhan, Hanley and thought it was a similar tone to my pale blue interior. I wanted some to make a parcel shelf/ cover over the load area of my Traveller and intend getting a sample next time I'm up that way. I noticed a patch repair at the bottom of my B post trim which is a good match and I think it may be the same material. Not sure of the thickness and suitability for seats? Like you, I intend to fit some more modern front seats one day....
John

Bertie.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Hi Mick,

Try this place, he has a wide selection.

http://www.martrim.co.uk/index.html
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

Alternatively, google vynide, you will see a lot more options.
Where angels fear to tread
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Thanks for all replies.Checked both links but to be honest none of the blues looked close enough.Never had chance to phone Newton as I was being dragged kicking and screaming around town.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

if you having the front seats recovered why not do the rear ones to match in the same fabric happy to send you a newsletter on how to cover your seats if you are interested.. just drop me your email address in a pm.

these are my traveller seats[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I've had all the newsletters thanks Charlie.My interior is in good nick but moggy front seats are amongst the most uncomfortable I have had the misfortune to use(and I've been through scores of classic cars),especially if youre getting on a bit.I have a set of Ka seats in black leather and have made new door cards and bought a black carpet but decided I prefer the blue in a smoke grey car so am intending to get them retrimmed in blue vinyl.My mate is a trimmer so it wont cost the earth(certainly not the grand Newton are wanting for a pair of theirs).
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

charlie_morris_minor wrote: these are my traveller seats
Yep, they definitely look like Moggy seats, Charlie..

Bertie.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

have you thought of dying the leather of the ka seats? if they are in good nick it could be worth a try.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Ît did cross my mind.In the past I have used both cellulose and water based dyes from Woolies and Gliptone.Both looked fantastic when first applied.Unfortunately it wears off eventually.Being realistic no matter what claims they make about the dye chemically combining with the material let's face it you're putting a very thin coat of colour on a seat.Will probably look good forever as long as you don't sit on it.
volrod544
Minor Friendly

Post by volrod544 »

does the dye wear off of leather ? i would have thought it soaked into it.what about re dying them? i was planning on dying some ka seats.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I just cant see it penetrating vinyl or leather deeply enough to make it last very long with your backside sliding around on it.A friend of mine bought a Nissan 350Z with mustard colour leather which was mint except for the seat base outer bolsters where the colour was rubbing off.He sent a snippet to Gliptone for a colour match which was spot on.2 months after application it was as bad as it was previously.Fair enough on doorcards or rear seats that rarely get sat on but for anywhere getting hard use I doubt it.I've used it a couple of times on 40s-early 50s Riley RM leather seats and it totally transforms the look but doesnt last.Having the KA seats recovered in vinyl (or leather)will cost less than a pair from Newton unless the trimmer you use is very greedy.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

hi tyson try https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leath ... eshead.php got some lether treatment from them worked fine lasted till I sold the car. Theres also an old retrimmer in Grangetown,redcar ,should be able to supply ,will be a lot cheaper than woolies etc.Its in the little parade of shops on the road from A66 to redcar if you know the area.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Cheers! Will have a look next time I'm up that way.
Mick
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Nowt wrong wi' dye on leather! It should work and last. beware if a tart up car valet franchise firm has been at it with their silicone colour sprays, it will need stripping right off before a leather dye will penetrate again.....

Bertie.