Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Morris 1000 rear arches on splitscreen

Post by Suzukimorris »

Hi, does anybody know if the morris 1000 wings are intechangeable with splitscreen ones. I know this will be controversial but I don't like how high the arches are cut on my splitscreen and they are pretty rotten so I'm wondering if I can literally swap them for morris 1000 ones?

Thanks

The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Re: Morris 1000 rear arches on splitscreen

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

I always thought the same, if you do swop them I would put your originals in your loft incase you want to revert back or sell the car, they could be difficult to find in the future.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Yep, they fit. Look at all the splitscreen Minors out there with later wings on them as confirmation ;)
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

...ha yeah I don't know why I didn't just go looking through images on Google! Thanks for that guys, yeah anything I take off I always do my best to hold on to and make any mods reversible within reason, I can't see myself ever selling to be honest, with this rebuild I haven't really pinched the purse strings so there no way I'd get my money back. The engine and block work cost the price of a good condition morris in itself! Build it to last and have fun with not bodge or keep in a museum that's what I say :D

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

mine are the later wings and Yes I think they look MUCH better than the high cut wings,but if you don't like them and your old ones are rotten then,latyer ones can be cut and re made to look like original (Farmire conversions I think do it)
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Personally, I like the earlier wings - makes the car look lighter and more dainty, though you do see a lot of the inner wheel arch. It's down to taste convenience and budget really. No reason why you can't fit later wings (many folk do) and you can see why as the Minor was developed and modernised that the wings were changed as it looked much neater.

Yes I do have an extremely small sideline going of modifying wings to the earlier type. Last ones I did were for my own convertible about 2 years ago so its a bit of a minority interest! :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

Brilliant cheers for that guys, I'll bare all that mind, my original ones have got plenty of life left in them just trying to get the stance right on the car and think the later might help, my mate had a 56 1000 and it was only when I'd parked my 56 split next to his we noticed the wheel arch shape difference ....especially as we noticed he had one of each on his!