And the windscreen suddenly went bang...

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ufudu
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

And the windscreen suddenly went bang...

Post by Ufudu »

After 1 year of happy motoring... I was trundling along to work this morning and suddenly the windscreen shattered with a thud.

Ordinary coolish 19C ambient temperatures.

I don't think it was hit by anything... it is a very symmetric series of cracks. No evidence of an object striking the screen.

Rubber replaced a year ago. Original glass I think ("Toughened")

I guess it must have been under stress.

Any recommendation who to get a replacement from? I will have to import from the UK. I have usually bought from EMS, they seem to have reasonable priced laminated screens.

Thanks[frame]Image[/frame]
Ufudu

1960 Morris Minor 4 door saloon
1957 Series 1 Land Rover

Bidz
Minor Fan

Re: And the windscreen suddenly went bang...

Post by Bidz »

That is unfortunate! Well, now you've got a split screen!!!

I'd call ESM and speak to them about it. They are very good.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

beware - laminated screens are very easily cracked when fitting.... Can a local windscreen place not get and fit one for you?? Consider something made from perspex/plexiglass in the short term??
ImageImage
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

That must have been scary, but even if it's more difficult to fit I'd try to go with a laminated screen as you can still see through them when they break.

I'd pay for an expert to fit it, maybe get a warranty so that if if it breaks while fitting they pay the replacement.
Gabriel
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If YOU were a screen fitter -would you give that warranty when someone turns up with their own screen - and asks you to fit it?? I certainly wouldn't!!
ImageImage
Ufudu
Minor Fan

Post by Ufudu »

Thanks all for the response.

Last year when I did fit the new rubber I used a "professional" team (father & 2 sons) that came out to the house. The father had definitely had prior experience inserting Morris type windscreens, and with the 3 of them they got the screen in without too much fuss...

I think I would use them again. But it would be unfair to ask them for a guarantee of any sorts. Perhaps a "bonus" would be more appropriate?

BMC, I read your warning about laminated screens, but is there any real long term alternative installation? Can other screens still be purchased?

Your suggestion of perspex/plexiglass is interesting, I did not know this is possible, I will look into that.

thanks
Ufudu

1957 Series 1 Land Rover

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The plastic screen is possible - but will scratch up very quickly - especially if you ever use the wipers..... It's just an emergency/keep you going possibility. The screen you had is very forgiving - it can be bent/pushed into the rubber. Not so a laminated screen....cracks if you even look sideways at it. Years ago a mate was fitting a laminated screen to his rally Mini - asked for help - I refused but two others from the 'crew' stepped forward - 5 minutes later, one cracked screen. Undaunted he bought another, and yes it cracked too... He finally took the car to Autoglass who fitted yet another new screen... .....
ImageImage
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

I've fitted Laminated screens to both Minor and Citroen DS, never been a problem and never had one crack Various Minors 7 occasions and counting. Have also done sides and rears on many occasions in toughened and never broken one. The glass on older cars is upto 2x the thickness of modern car glass so it is tough. As has been said you cannot be stranded with Laminated and they are usually tinted which is nice.
[sig]6530[/sig]
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

bmcecosse wrote:If YOU were a screen fitter -would you give that warranty when someone turns up with their own screen - and asks you to fit it?? I certainly wouldn't!!
If I was VERY good perhaps; I would charge a bit more to offset my costs in replacing broken windshields though.

Anyway back to the problem, a plastic windscreen is just going to cost more in the long run since they do scratch very quickly especially with the wipers. Just don't fit it yourself, but I'd still go with laminated and if possible ask around, maybe you can find one in South Africa without having to import it from the UK.

I'd also add to check that the metal that holds the screen rubber is good and straight, since this might have caused your windscreen to shatter in the first place and would certainly happen again if there's a problem there.
Gabriel
Ufudu
Minor Fan

Post by Ufudu »

Report back -

New screen (from EMS) fitted today, went in reasonably easily. Cost GBP 20 for fitment. Used silicon spray as lube.

Hope this one stays in a little longer! :D
Ufudu

1957 Series 1 Land Rover

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done! That was quick !!!! How did they freight the screen to you ?
ImageImage
Ufudu
Minor Fan

Post by Ufudu »

Yes, as always EMS has great customer service.

They used an oversized cardboard box filled with plenty of bubble wrap and cardboard offcuts. FEDEX did the shipping (don't ask what that cost :roll: )

I reused the 'old' rubber and locking strip since they were still in good 'nick'
Ufudu

1957 Series 1 Land Rover

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Wow - I thought it would need a wood crate..
ImageImage
Ufudu
Minor Fan

Post by Ufudu »

Yes I thought so too... although EMS said they have never had a problem unless the delivery truck backed over the box :o

To be fair, it was packed quite well and unless you dropped it from a height the screen would most likely not contact the outside of the box which is probably a fair test for packaging... and may even be better than a wooden crate...

AND it was marked FRAGILE! :D
Ufudu

1957 Series 1 Land Rover