Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kermit63
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Round Cornwall Run June 2015

Post by kermit63 »

Hi All,

I have been driving my 1958 Morris Minor 1000 since passing my test some 34 years ago :D . When I was 18 I put two pendant decals on the car, one saying John O'Groats and one Land''s End. The car has worn these pendants ever since, but has never been to either! So this June I am taking the car on a day trip around the Cornwall Coast including Lands End and The Lizard Point.

Starting at Launceston at 8.30 on Friday 5th June, I will be travelling north to Tintagel and then west hugging the north coast all the way to Lands End. From there to Lizard point, back along the South Coast including the King Henry and Fowey ferries to Looe and then back to Launceston via Liskard.

Should be about 6-7 hours driving, plus stops along the way!

Would love to have some Moggie friends along with us, or joining us along the way. No plaques or certificates on offer, just some great roads and an enjoyable day! Will have a route guide produced shortly, which we will give out at the start in Launceston or email in advance if I know you are joining us for the run.

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested in joining us for the whole route, or who might just join for a section of the run.

Cheers, David
simmitc

Re: Round Cornwall Run June 2015

Post by simmitc »

Welcome :D What a cracking idea, it sounds like a lovely trip. I hope that you get plenty of support and have a great day out.
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Hi all,

Less than 4 weeks to go now! Minor started on the button and has now received a full service and grease up! lead replacement and classic oil purchased, now just a few spares needed and plenty of duct tape!

Still planning to leave from Launceston about 8.30am on Friday 5th, departing from the shopping centre car park opposite Lidl. Route is still being mapped, but essentially we will head north to the coast at Crackington Haven and then west along the coast through places like Boscastle, Tintagel, Padstow, Wadebridge, Perranporth and St. Ives.

Some cracking roads to drive, from sweeping wide lanes to drinking straws with passing places! Great views too according to Google Maps! Will stop at Lands End and then return via the Lizard and along the South Coast as far as Looe, before heading back to Launceston. All in one day!

Anyone who's free to join, let me know. Be nice to have a small convoy! If you happen to see us on the 5th, give us a wave and a toot!

Once the route instructions are complete, I am happy to send to anyone who would like a copy in case you'd like to follow in our tyre tracks on another day!

Cheers, David :D
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Hi All,

Route instructions are now complete and all is ready for Friday next week :D

Am preparing a running repairs kit, including wheel brace and jack, small tool kit, tyre pump, duct tape, oil, fuel treatment (no unleaded head!), paracetamol and an AA card!

Any other essentials that you would recommend?

Then all we need is some good weather 8)

Anyone wishing to join us, feel free as it is not too late to sign up.

Cheers, David
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

Plenty of water - just in case :wink:
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Have a great time and send us all a post card!
John

Bertie.
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Report on the round Cornwall day on Friday 5th.

Having used plenty of spit and polish the day before, the car look great when we turned out at 7.30am. The fact that she initially failed to start should perhaps have been taken as an omen for the day ahead!! However, we were in optimistic mood and looking forward to driving the route in reality instead of via google maps!

The initial 20 minute journey to Launceston went without hitch, although our support car reported that we had no brake lights working, no fuel gauge and the indicators were also up the Swanee ! We decided to press on, with the co driver using the side light switch to indicate to the support car when we were braking.

Great first leg up to the coast to Crackington Haven, and we pulled over there for a short break. Lots of people in the car park made comments about how great the car looked (amazing how many people used to have one!). We then proceeded down the small lanes keeping close to the sea all the way to Tintagel and on to the Poldark Inn.

At that point it started to drizzle, and we discovered that the wipers were also not working!. We made it to Bodmin with the aid of a cloth wiped on the windscreen by the long armed driver!! Luckily the drizzle came and went, so we didn't have to stop completely. Just went slow with the back up car keeping the traffic off our backs.

At Bodmin we grabbed lunch and then thought logically about our issues, no brake lights, no indicators, no semaphores, no wipers?.?? Then some bright spark in our party suggested we haul out the two fuses above the voltage regulator and clean up the contacts. Lo and behold, everything came back to life!! A huge sigh of relief all round.

By now we were way behind schedule, so we decided to head straight down the A30 to St Ives and take the coast road again from there to Lands End. Off we went at a good 50 to 55 mph........ for about 15 miles. My support car then flashed wildly, just as I was starting to smell something funny. Luckily a lay bye appeared immediately and we pulled in. The moment we stopped the car was enveloped in white smoke, that turned out to be steam!! Apparently the car suddenly started looking like it was riding on a white cloud!!

Either a blown head gasket, blocked radiator or most likely a failed or failing water pump! At that point we got the message and quit the run. After refilling the car, which had spat the contents of the cooling system all over the A30 we managed a further 20 miles homeward on smaller roads keeping the speed well down. After a few more boiling over incidents, we finally threw in the towel and call for the breakdown truck!!

We now await news from the garage, to tell us what caused the dramatic overheating and what we wrecked in the process!! Funny thing was that in between the dramatic overheating moments, she was running really well! We shall see, and later in the year we will have another go at the around Cornwall Run! In the meantime, we he a great day in mostly great weather and something of a Minor Adventure!

Couple of photos to follow. Cheers, David
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Hope I didn't jinx the trip by suggesting you take plenty of water :oops:
From what you managed it sounded like a nice run :)
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Was a great day and thanks for the suggestion Panky. Without the extra water on board we would have been stuck at the first boil over!! Suggestion for the water was spot on! :D
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Here's the car looking good before setting out! :D[frame]Image[/frame]
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Just a quick update for anyone interested, the car is now back an running great. Radiator core had blocked up, causing the water in the engine to turn to steam. When the steam escaped via the overflow pipe, it blew the water in the radiator all over the exhaust pipe! Hence the "mobile cloud" effect!

No damage to the block, no damage to the head gasket, new radiator and we are ready to have another go at the trip! Now, how to tell the wife I'd like to disappear again for a couple of days :D .......... Watch this space for Round Cornwall Trip 2nd attempt! Send me a message of you'd like me to let you know when the next date is confirmed, watch this thread. Cheers, David