Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RussLCV
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

wiring questions

Post by RussLCV »

Will have a number of question regarding wiring my pick up but let me explain the mods first..............I will post some pics at the end that will cover these. Its a 1275 midget block, Metro head. I have a 4 fuse ex-mini fuse box, alternator fitted, control box removed, Mini ignition switch, twin stalks for indicators, horn & main beam, plus 2 speed wipers & electric washers this switch all works well, 2 speed, single swipe and push for electric washers.......oh forgot to say new loom but its an older version

Now initially what I need to know

1 have I wired the fuse box correct
2 have I joined the wires from the control box correctly
3 have the correct wires gone to the ignition or should I add another
4 how do I get the horn to work?
5 I need to add hazard warning so some info on that would be good?

the pics
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: wiring questions

Post by simmitc »

I'll kick off with hazards: The switch should have two pairs of contacts that are made in the OFF position, and broken in the ON. These are wired into the feeds to the left hand and right hand indicators. That means that when the hazards are OFF, the normal flasher feeds the indicators and all works as normal. When the switch is ON, those feeds are disconnected, and both sides joined to the output from the dedicated hazard flasher unit. At the same time, a third set of contacts are closed when ON and open when OFF. These switch the power feed to the dedicated flasher unit.

The horn has two wires, one that supplies power to the horn, and the other that goes to the horn switch. When the switch is operated, it makes a contact with earth to complete the circuit. This is opposite to typical light switches.
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

thanks Simon but how do i make the push on the stalk work the horn?
Russell Harvey

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re:i wiring questions

Post by mike.perry »

Having tested the horn by connecting direct to the battery then the purple/black wire should be connected to the horn push which should complete the circuit. There should be a connector block with the column switch. I will have a look in my garage tomorrow to check
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Golden rule is that wire colours must be the same on any terminal. But they change colour going through a fuse/switch/light etc etc.. Looks like some of your fuse box wires are a bit mixed up. ie Is there a Brown and a White on the same fuse terminal ? And a white going to a fuse and another white coming away above ? Brown is always power feed direct from battery - White is unfused supply from the Ignition switch - becoming Green after the fuse. Coil and fuel pump are not fused - so white wires direct to each of them. For the horn - as above - Lilac (fused non ignition supply) feeds the horn. then Lilac/Black goes to your stalk and from the stalk a Black wire should run to earth.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Mike see pic of block one has purple and purple/black goingbup stalk but I guess a black wire needs to be involved
Russell Harvey

RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Thanks bmc seems that there this a brown and white as you mention. The white at the top is in fact a green wire with a white tracer. So how do I power the fuses brown wires? Also horn has purple and purple /black wire and both go up the co!um plug see pics
Russell Harvey

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

The lilac/black and lilac that appear in the drivers glove box are wire from the horn (lilac/black) as indicated by BMC and power the fed to interior light (lilac) direct from fuse. In my Traveller the lilac connects to another lilac wire that goes up the right hand side of the screen. A brown/black wire also goes up the right hand side of the screen from the door switches to the interior light.

Hope this helps
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Brown wires are fed directly from the battery side of the solenoid. That 'brown/black' wire mentioned above is probably just a discoloured lilac/black. I'm surprised a 'green/white' wire would be coming away from a fuse. Surely should be on the flasher switch?
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Could you please tell me the serial no and TPM of the speedo in the photo
Thanks
[sig]3580[/sig]
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Mike speedo is off Mini LHD hence 140kph very much like the Military travellers used by the BAOR

BMC will get more details of the wires but your lilac is my purple

The wires from the control box join correctly so all the browns need ti go the fuse box not as I have them?
Russell Harvey

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

All browns should go together. Do I see a red/white wire going to a fuse - and the Lilac wires coming out the other side? Red/white is the panel light feed - from the little switch under the dash, and if it is White/red - then that is the solenoid feed from the Ignition key switch.... Certainly neither is a suitable feed for the Lilac cables.... Should be a brown cable.
ImageImage
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Ah......bmc an eye to detail the red/ white is in fact red an additional live feed wire from the 12v sockets that I have mounted in the dash.

Also thick brown wire to brown and blue see joint rubber under fuse ex control box.

Tomorrow will obtain more details thanks for all the help

Mike do you still need numbers
Russell Harvey

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ah - the 'white' must just be light shining on the red wire. Still confusing since Red is the sidelamp colour :roll: . Yes - you need to join Brown and Brown/blue when the Regulator is removed.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have got a switch from my box. It has the following colours
Blue - headlight feed
Blue/Red - Dip Beam
Blue/White - Main Beam
Light Green/Brown - Feed from Flasher?
Green/Red - L H Indicators
Green/White - R H Indicators
Purple/Black - From Horn
White - Feed from Ignition?
The Minor wiring diagram is a lot easier to read than the Mini diagram!
Check the springs and contacts at the base of the switch
I would like the speedo details for my application chart
[sig]3580[/sig]
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Sorry guys been away with work not had much time for wiring in the garage, so a an update and a few questions

1.These are wires from the control box are these joined how they should be?

2. Yellow & Yellow/Green from the control box are these joined correctly?

3. Mini fuse box, ignore that green/white wire are these to the fuse box wired correctly? If I need all the greens on one fuse can anyone advise of a piggy back plug spade to allow more connections?

4. now what needs to go where........ lots of white wires and there seems to be 2 browns which fuses do these go too? Also where does the power come from for the other 2 fuses

Mike will get the speedo out tomorrow and provide numbers.....

The horn now works by the way
Russell Harvey

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

I have 3 white wires see photo. they all go on the same connection of the righthand fuse, with the three green wires on other end of fuse.

The thicker white wire in the fed from ign switch and petrol pump is one of the thinner white wires on the right.the other white wire goes to the coil
[frame]Image[/frame]

I have 3 brown wires inn this area, I have an alternator fitted and 2 are on the control box for connection only, as control box not used. the other brown is a perminant live on the left fuse. The second brown wire on the bottom of the left fuse in picture (with yellow connector) is a feed to a second fuse panel.

I still have the 2 brown/blue wires connected on control box for connection only, so not sure why you have them connected to a brown and yellow?

Do you have a wiring loom for an alternator, as I do not have any yellow wires on my car and this may be why you have the connections shown

Hope this helps
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Because you have many non-standard colours there - it's impossible to know what they do.. You will need to ring them all out to find what goes where. There really is no short cut to this.
ImageImage
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Thanks Andy for the info
BMC these wire are not non-standard all are on the Morris Minor loom.
Russell Harvey

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's hard to tell from the pics - but you appear to have Yellow wires - and there are no Yellows in a standard Minor loom - so no idea what they do. There seem to be many other wires there too - a Minor loom is a very very simple thing - yours looks much more complicated.....
ImageImage