Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AnimalJack
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

adding extras - sensible junction box ?

Post by AnimalJack »

Ive just put a new loom in my van but Ive left all the clocks and extras disconnected because the old wiring was a myriad of add -ons ..........so I was hoping someone could advise on fitting an additional junction box or something so I could wire up things like amp gauge , cigarette lighter (more for plugging in awning light and the likes. and time clock ...which obviously needs to be a permanent connection....
Ive got an old Lucas fuse box that takes six fuses and has push on male terminals either side and I was thinking of running a live from 'somewhere' to that and then just connect up to that ..... :roll:
''I can't strip my Lambretta down in the kitchen ska blues''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b91iJMd1Nio
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: adding extras - sensible junction box ?

Post by bmcecosse »

That would do well enough (not for the ammeter obviously) - just connect the input to the Lilac wire at the existing fuse box. An ammeter needs to be in series with the existing brown wire on the solenoid..... ie disconnect that wire and extend it (proper solder joint) with heavy cable to the ammeter - then lead another cable from the ammeter back to the solenoid. Both wires must be extremely well insulated and great care taken where they pass through the bulkhead - and they cannot be fused.... If the ammeter reads wrong way - just swap the connections on the rear.
ImageImage
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

I have added an additional fuse box under the dash on the passenger side this uses the same type of fuses as main fuse box. This is used to provide power to the Radio, Aux Socket and screen washer motor as can be seen in photo below. These items are fed with red wires so its clear they are additional to original wiring
[frame]Image[/frame]
The brown feed wire is connected to one side of the fuses and is fed from the original fuse box. Seen in photo below with yellow connector just showing. This is the power fed side to the permanent live fuse, if you connect to the lilac as suggested by BMC you new power will also be protected by the original fuse. The choice is yours.
.[frame]Image[/frame]
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
AnimalJack
Minor Friendly

Post by AnimalJack »

Thanks !! that has really helped .
''I can't strip my Lambretta down in the kitchen ska blues''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b91iJMd1Nio