Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Leyland
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Quality of Brake shoes

Post by Leyland »

Hi all

It seems more and more difficult to get well known brake shoes. I have used Mintex in the past but getting 7 inch ones is almost impossible.
There seems to some dubious manufacturers out there. I know there were a lot of threads on this site regarding WILLOW brake shoes. Delaminating, squealing etc. I see Bull Motif are selling Willow. Their policy is to sell only quality parts. Does anyone have current experience of willow shoes.
I assume they have got their act together otherwise Bull Motif wouldn't sell them and damage their reputation.
Any thoughts welcome.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: Quality of Brake shoes

Post by liammonty »

In my recent experience, the Willow shoes are not great at all. I replaced my 7" ones with some Mintex shoes I found on eBay and they transformed the brakes. Look on eBay - some will crop up soon enough.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Reading a previous post of yours, why not use the ones you have? Seems a shame to fork out for more, especially if you are having issues with quality, just carefully run a file over the linings to remove surface film.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Unless they have been contaminated with oil or brake fluid - in which case they are junk.
ImageImage
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Can you get them relined? That's what my father and I have ended up doing on some occasion when new shoes are too expensive or too hard to find, with pretty good results.
Gabriel
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Our local garage can get 8" mintex shoes within hours. And it's well worth upgrading from the smaller brakes,I think.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

bmcecosse wrote:Unless they have been contaminated with oil or brake fluid - in which case they are junk.
Well naturally Roy but the op said he had various sets knocking about, unlikely all contaminated. :o

Leyland
Minor Fan

Post by Leyland »

Thank you everyone for your responses.
I do have some old stock brake shoes that may have asbestos. They are all rivet held linings.
Is anyone still using these type. I guess you have to be observant to wear as the linings wear down
To the rivets.
I welcome any thoughts. Thanks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The asbestos linings are the BEST - just use them and avoid the dust in future.
ImageImage
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I'm sure they'll be fine. Just don't go dressing them with a file as per previous suggestions (which I'm sure we're referring to non-asbestos linings!).
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just wet them - and suck away the debris with a vacuum.
ImageImage
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

bmcecosse wrote:Just wet them - and suck away the debris with a vacuum.
Not good enough, I'm afraid - you need to use a surfactant in the water too, such as detergent like washing-up liquid, to be totally safe. I'd still suggest it's a very bad idea to purposely create asbestos dust! There's a reason that asbestos is banned from sale in the UK.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I used to work with asbestos......it will be fine - but usually there is no need to file the shoes - that's your suggestion with these shoes -not mine. Bad idea... :(
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Oh dear, looks like I'm not PC, if you file the linings why can't one just be careful, hold them away from you and don't breath in, I'm not suggesting you file the linings down to the shoe! Just to remove any possible glaze

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

bmcecosse wrote:I used to work with asbestos......it will be fine - but usually there is no need to file the shoes - that's your suggestion with these shoes -not mine. Bad idea... :(
Actually, it wasn't my suggestion :-? And my wife CURRENTLY works with asbestos, and using a surfactant IS THE CURRENT advice, according to the HSE and so on. I'm not trying to have a knowledge competition, just want people to avoid unnecessary risks potentially arising from multiple posts on the subject :wink:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I used to work in a hospital and the building where the kids were left had a tarmac play area that was sponge like to the touch! Heaven forbid a child with grazes knees! :roll:

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Grazed knees are slightly less debilitating than asbestosis, Les. Some people can be exposed to asbestos dust for years without ill effect, but others contract asbestosis after just a brief exposure. I just want people to be aware of the risks so that they can make informed decisions. It's ridiculous that this is even an argument. I'm just stating fact, and trying to be helpful, which sometimes isn't the accepted way on here :wink: Right, I'm off to snort some asbestos dust while working underneath my Minor, unsupported by axle stands. My petrol tank needs welding up as it's sprung a leak. :lol:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I appreciate what you are making folk aware of but sometimes common sense strikes a happy medium between being too frightened to do anything and getting something done. I make no argument, asbestos is not nice stuff, there has been enough publicity to leave no one in doubt. I'm sure after your comments you're joking about snorting the dust but using bricks as support is very iffy and as for welding a tank, well------- :D

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

I would think you would have to inhale a lot more than the small amount of dust on a lining
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I agree Les, it's just important to have the correct information to be able to make an informed decision. And Dennis, actually it doesn't actually take more than a single particle in some people, though it's not the same for all - as I said earlier. Some folk can be exposed to it for ages without ill effect.

Now, back to welding up that fuel tank. Should I drain the petrol first? :lol: