Post by Budgie »

Just as it says on the tin .......so how easy is it...for a novice! :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: alternator conversion

Post by philthehill »

A very simple task.
Are you going to fit a kit with all the parts necessary/required or sourcing your own parts?
Here is the revised wiring diagram taken from the Owen Burton Marina to Minor booklet which is very useful item/booklet to have.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by philthehill on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

Vey easy if the kit contains everything including the new wiring (two wires) and instructions. The most difficult bit, if you can call if difficult, is re-positioning the coil. Just make sure the pulley on the alternator lines up with the water pump and crankshaft pulleys, I needed a couple of washers to get it right, you may find that a longer bolt will be required for the back mounting.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Thanks for the replies I'll be buying the kit but from what I've seen so far I'll have to farm it out as I'm not very good with auto electrics. But what about the positive earth aspect ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The alternators supplied in the kits are to my knowledge all negative earth. So the battery polarity has to be changed and the coil connections swopped over. Dispose of the regulator box and join the wires as shown in the revised wiring diagram above.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - car must be -ve earth There is a much simplified wiring diagram at the head of this section. It really is a very simple job. And yes - put the coil on the inner wing - DO NOT attempt to mount it on the alternator. You would be wise to fit a new 825 fan belt when doing the job - and as above - make sure the pulleys line up correctly. Why do you need an alternator ?
ImageImage
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Its just a thought as my current tourer has an alternator and I will be going to see a minor shortly which has a dynamo and just wondered how easy and cost effective the transfer would be.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

A dynamo is perfectly satisfactory unless doing a lot of winter town stop-start driving. It's the very least of the concerns when considering a 'new' car!
ImageImage
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Ok thanks for that I think I'll leave well alone then if the next one has a dynamo set up, just thought it would be more reliable .
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

an alternater in my veiw is a worth while upgrade
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

you can fit an alternator that looks like a dynamo, some where to put the coil

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I suppose it all depends on how you use the car and how much you are bothered about originality. All my old cars now have alternators, and accuspark ignition. They are now mostly trouble free.
Now I've said that the bu.gers probably won't start tomorrow morning!
Morriemiz
Minor Friendly

Post by Morriemiz »

I read in your reply not to mount coil on top of alternator obviously there is reason for it and i was wandering what it was. Thanks in advance Ron
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Plenty of us still run dynamo equipped Minors every day without any trouble at all.
I wouldn't consider changing your dynamo unless you have a problem with it or you're doing lots of short winter journeys with lights/heater/wipers on all the time and have accessories such as heated screens etc as well.
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

I put an alternator in my Morris minor last week, and it's very easy. I used a #14029A from advance auto parts, $65. I bought two used regulators on Ebay, and pulled the guts out of them. Terminals A and A1 are connected. I ran a jumper to terminal D.
After my surgery, Terminals E and F aren't connected to anything.
The large wire from the alternator goes to term D, Dynamo, and is internally connected to A and A1.
The indicator wire goes to terminal F where it joins with the wire to the ignition light.
The ONLY advantage to my project is that it allows me to feed the alternator to the D terminal for visual effect.
Looks original.
Don't wreck a perfectly good regulator, find a bad one to destroy.

http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/HClew ... 0regulator