Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndrewT
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Bag or bottle??

Post by AndrewT »

Recently being tidying my engine bay and have a Tudor windscreen washer bottle fitted was woundering what was the correct fluid holder to have a bag or bottle?? And any certain makes trico maybe?? My car is a series 2 4 door 1954 also any ideas where to obtain the correct bottle or bag?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Bag or bottle??

Post by ManyMinors »

Nothing is "correct" really as the car didn't have windscreen washers fitted at all when new. They became a legal requirement in the early 1960s and many manufacturers sold complete kits which could be added to your car. Your car will simply have what a previous owner chose to purchase.
When they became a factory fitment - late 1961ish? - a plastic bottle was used and black plastic jets fitted to the bulkhead.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Bag, no question.
I used one of these and whilst it's never been used on the road, it works a treat and fits the near side upper bulkhead perfectly.
Al

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... g&_sacat=0
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

My 55 had chrome nozzles and a glass bottle - they looked as though they'd always been there so must have been fitted as an extra, or from another model in the Morris range.
Good home offered for custom splittie
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Pays your money and takes your choice...how great is that. :D
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I had a project car once with fragments of a glass bottle, they can't take knocks, jolts or freezing. Chocolate teapot? They had just started making replica ones at vast cost so I just used a white spirit bottle, but that caused a bit of sniffing in Daimler circles.

Left with a choice of plastic bottle or bag I'd go for the bottle. The bag looks too much like a medical device!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Plastic bottle on the bulkhead not inner wing where you would have two screw holes to go rusty and all the extra tube to pump screenwasher though.
[sig]3580[/sig]
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

Thanks for all the info minor people :D
The Scotmoose
Minor Friendly

Post by The Scotmoose »

Just recently fitted a bag with electric pump combined kit, which had switch and wiring (£13.98 on e-bay). Easy to fit (I managed so must be easy) and worked first time. Fitted to big space on bulkhead and looks like it has always been there. Not a lot of pence for great performance and the Tudor bottle which was held by clamp on o/s inner wing now a thing of the past. This got rid of about a meter of plastic tubing and although not "original" it really does what it is supposed to. :tu1: :tu1: :tu1: :tu1: :tu1:
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

My present Minor and the previous one both received a converted chrome Pyrene fire extinguisher in place of the usual bag or bottle. Works fine and always gets positive comments at shows. 😁
Attachments
IMG_20230905_121428.jpg
IMG_20230905_121428.jpg (565.46 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Boomlander wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:19 pm My present Minor and the previous one both received a converted chrome Pyrene fire extinguisher in place of the usual bag or bottle. Works fine and always gets positive comments at shows. 😁
A neat idea. Is it easy to plumb it in? Does the extinguisher come apart and do you need to put a bottle inside it?
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Very easy to fit, just drill a hole in the filler cap for the intake tube from the washer pump. Fill up with screen wash and fit the bracket to the bulkhead. They come in brass or chrome finish. Have a look on Ebay. 😁