Engine noise (video with audio included)

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GeordieDave
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Engine noise (video with audio included)

Post by GeordieDave »

Hi All. I'll keep it short. At speed (40 mph+) my engine had a strong rattle under load when I accelerate or go up hill. Below is a link to a video clip and the noise starts 10 seconds in, when I accelerate. Around town the engine pulls strongly and is as quiet as normal but on the motorway.... :evil:

In a previous post I questioned my oil pressure

http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60478

Could the two be related? Comments much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/D1hsVXfcdGg
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine noise (video with audio included)

Post by simmitc »

Can't really detect anything on the video but the first thing I would do is check compression on all four cyclinders. Report readings for further advice.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sounds like rattling bearings to me - it would never reach that speed if it wasn't firing on all cylinders!
Edit As predicted in the earlier thread - the pressure is desperately low - probably too far gone now to just get away with a set of shells......crank regrind I'm afraid - and new oil pump.
ImageImage
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Before you take the engine apart you could try retarding the ignition slightly.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

From 9 secs on, it sounds very much like big ends - almost certainly if the noise coincides with when you accelerate and goes when you ease off. For what it's worth, personally I wouldn't bother with a compression test - if you'll pardon the pun, it's rattling along fast enough in that clip to have tolerable compression I reckon :D
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

It sounds exactly like mine did before a rebuild, pulled along fine but a horrible growly come rattling noise at anything over about 45 and accelerating, from the oil pressures you have the bottom end is well worn. Bottom end rebuild time I think, as BMC says odds on the crank will need grinding.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Agreed, sounds knackered,
Put thicker oil in and drive it very gently and look for a replacement engine.
When you get a replacement you can fix the one you have.

They are always on sale and often free.

Al
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Best get it seen to. My big ends went all of a sudden.........all was fine, then one day out for a drive a knocking noise developed which grew steadily more noisy and alarming. In the end I had to be towed home :(

But its not a difficult fix with the sump off.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Engine needs to come out for a crank regrind....
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

So much doom and gloom :cry: Thanks for watching the video and for the comments - it looks like everyone is on the same page, which is some comfort.

I had my suspicions it would be serious. Do we know anyone in the North West who offers engine refurbishment? I could probably do the strip and rebuild myself but it took me 8 years to get it back out of storage so I think I'll leave this to the professionals.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just get an exchange crank from Bull Motif etc. And a new oil pump.... If you had fitted new big-end shells when the low oil pressure was first highlighted - it could have been ok, for a while anyway. But I fear it is too far gone now.
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

I haven't driven the car since the summer when I was asking about the oil pressure and the video was filmed so, fingers crossed, it might not need such drastic surgery. Although for the sake of it, I might as well get everthing done at once.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Sadly time-off cannot repair knackered bearings or other wear in an engine.
If it was in need of repair in the summer it will still be in need now.

Another engine is your best bet if you don't fancy the work.
They are very easy to find and you can have yours fixed while you use the replacement if you want.

Al
edd_barker
Minor Fan

Post by edd_barker »

GeordieDave, it says you're in Manchester? If so go immediately to Minor Millennium in Chorlton, I cannot sing their praises highly enough. I stumbled on them whilst working up that way, and have been so impressed with Paul and Martin that for the last three years I drove my 1959 2 door back up there from London where I live for its annual dose of welding and sticking bits back on! I do have family in Manchester, but a couple of times I drove up, train straight back then went again the following weekend to collect. I consider them that good. Whilst you're there ask Paul to show you his Intergrale-engined convertible!
Jawelnofine
Minor Friendly

Post by Jawelnofine »

Geordie Dave,
If that's genuine mileage on your car then there should not be any major cause for concern.
Here's a few things you could try first.
Remove the oil filter and open the paper element over a clean plastic dish. Dilute the oily residue with petrol and pour it through a stocking to catch any metallic particles for inspection. Look for dodgy white metal/Bronze/steel particles which would indicate internal component destruction.

If all seems ok there, then fit an oil pressure gauge and monitor behavior whilst driving.

There are a good few borescope cameras to sneak a peek into a drained sump to see any obvious damage. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-7m ... SwZ1lWeo7w

Don't fear the worst until you have exhausted all the options. It may just be pinking. Or you could be running on the wrong grade oil.
Good luck.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

We have already seen the extremely low oil pressure.... And since dropping the sump is a very easy operation - it's hardly worth messing about with anything else. It is highly likely that the plate and/or spring may be missing inside the oil filter - allowing unfiltered oil to circulate - so for that reason it is worth looking inside the filter housing. The 'correct' oil is 20W50. Of course - if the engine has ever been allowed to run low on oil - the bearing shells will be ruined in seconds.....
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

I'll definitely check the timing and the oil clarity/filter before I go any further - thanks for the suggestions. The car was tuned up and serviced at Millennium Motors last year so hopefully they used the correct oil.

I don't know if the mileage is genuine but Millennium Motors suspected it wasn't, based on their findings when they did a lot of welding for me a few years ago. I spoke to them about the engine and they'll repair it as needed but I'm considering sending it for a complete rebuild.

I've spoken to a company in Stockport - members of the Association of Chief Engine Tinkerers (or similar) - and they'll strip the engine and give me a list of what's needed and a list of optional upgrades such as balancing and an fitting unleaded head.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Your engine needs neither 'balancing' or 'unleaded' head - oh dear.....
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

bmcecosse wrote:Your engine needs neither 'balancing' or 'unleaded' head - oh dear.....
That's why they described them as optional....

I like my engine, I think it's a good one. It pulls well (better than my brother's) and doesn't burn oil so I'm happy to have it repaired if it keeps it going. The company hasn't seen the engine and isn't familiar with my circumstances or needs so I have no idea what their prognosis will be. Once I've brought them up to speed, let's consider this an experiment, to see what they suggest. If I don't want their services they'll charge me for their time £ to be agreed in advance and send me on my way with my engine.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it's pulling well and not burning oil -then it just needs an exchange crankshaft (or crank regrind) and a new oil pump.... And DO check out the oil filter! It's not a bad deal at £120, although of course carriage both ways unless you live nearby.
http://www.morrisminorspares.net/basket.php
ImageImage