wheel problem

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Robins
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Robins »

I must admit you'r right Peetee, my traveller is currently on 145 Uniroyals till I can get some more 13 wheels and it is a better than the Michelins, Firestones and some other make I have never heard of that I have tried in the past.
I'm not going to dispute the fact crossplies are useless and I do agree that radials are much far superior. But by a terrible ride Willie, I was compairing the 145's to the Continental 175/65/13 as fitted to my van. So unless you have tried the said 13 wheels and tyres on your moggie then you can not say I don't know what I'm on about. This was based on my personal prefference and experiance and as a comparison the 13" are fantastic in my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion but as I said earlier, each to their own.
I seem to be making a habbit of finding it dificult to get my point across the way I see it. When I said at least 165's on van rims I didn't mean that as a starting size to go bigger, but as the size to use, meaning no smaller or bigger than 165. I doubt thats any clearer is it, oh well I tried.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

When I said at least 165's on van rims I didn't mean that as a starting size to go bigger,
When you say at least,--- that's what it does mean!
Anyway I can confirm that about 6mm is the clearance with 165's on the front, and personally feel this is close enough.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Horace, cavaughn, miked44,

We mentioned the wider van rims as an option. These will fit straight on with up to 165's on the front. Its probably an easy option compared to modifying the hubs etc..
There are some on ebay at the moment. They can fetch £40 to £50 each in good condition with tyres, so not sure what these will go for, tatty and without tyres.
(It also saves trolling round scrapyards paying money for wheels that might fit.) If used with the correct size tyres, then the speedo will still be accurate (if it was to start with :-) )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 27381&rd=1
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

if vauxhall 4 studd wheels fit then so will VW
The Vauxhall wheels that fit are from 70's Vivas etc. The 'Modern' Vauxhalls; Cavaliers, Astras etc have a different stud fitting which, as you say is the same as VW-Audi.

Don't loose sight of the fact that the stud fitment is not the only thing that matters. The offset of the wheel can be equally important. The mating face of the wheel to the hub can be nearer or further from the outside edge of the wheel and this has an effect on how far apart the wheels sit on the car and, more importantly the feel of the steering.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

some of the alloys u might find to be lighter then the standered wheels
Unfortunately that's very rare. On race cars they use high grade alloys, manufactured with forging process. This gives a strong material and allows them to be very light (lighet than steel)
On road cars they use cheaper alloy material and it is almost always cast. This means it isn't going to be lighter than steel.
So although many people buy alloys thinking they are lighter, it is usually a red herring.

The unsprung weight on a minor is quite significant, and the difference between wheel types is usually small in comparison, so it isn't something I would worry about.

Fortunately not many people use big diameter rims with low profile tyres on Minors (seems to be more related to sports cars / nova boys / civic boys etc..). These are usually just a fashion accessory as they can ruin the handling of a car.
The tyre profile is part of the suspension set up so if it is reduced, you may have to play with the damping and spring rating to get back to the same level of handling on bumpy roads.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
morrismanic
Minor Friendly

Post by morrismanic »

Could someone tell me if MG midget rostyle fit directly to the morris
Willie
Minor Legend

rostyle

Post by Willie »

The pre rostyle Midget wheels (13")DO fit the Minor but you must obtain
the Midget wheel nuts too! Not sure about the Rostyles but can't
imagine that they changed the measurements when they started
to use them??
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
morrismanic
Minor Friendly

Post by morrismanic »

thanks wille i know the PCD is 4" but i was un sure whether to use spacers or if they bolted straght on
morrismanic
Minor Friendly

Post by morrismanic »

hello all the answer to all wheel problems for the purist on page 36 of the march/april 04 Minor Matters. Minor Developments are selling 5jx14 steel wheels simalar to the late Van wheels bolt straight on and use minor hub caps
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yes they have been available for some time but at £59:50 each in primer it means a set is £297:50 + painting against Minilites at a similar price for 13" and an extra £50 for 14" and these are obviously finished, so they are quite an investment.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706