Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
plastic_orange
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

More meddling from the EU

Post by plastic_orange »

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: More meddling from the EU

Post by SteveClem »

Read about this today in CCW. The idea that a classic car can't be used as a daily driver is bizarre to my way of thinking.
You know, the whole EU referendum thing is odd. If they want us to stay in why do we keep hearing of all these nitpicking,eurobolloxing,stupid things?
Perhaps they really want rid of us?
XWL61
Minor Fan

Post by XWL61 »

well, you have a choice on June 23rd :D
1955 Series 2 saloon XWL61
1957 Series 3 saloon
1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover
1953 Jowett Javelin PE Std.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I think it's a ploy by the old duffers with their Bugattis and Bentleys to keep the riff raff in their place. I don't think the UK government gives a sh*t as they have to reduce pollution in cities and the old cars are an easy hit. Wouldn't possibly think of banning all these polluting VW's would they?

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

XWL61 wrote:well, you have a choice on June 23rd :D
Indeed we do. It's a tricky one. And my wife's 65th birthday!
There's a theory that us oldies shouldn't get a vote because the outcome will only be relevant to to the younger generations.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

This pollution thing is a load of old cobblers. Until they cut down on the number of planes in the sky, one modern passenger carrying aircraft will cause more pollution on one take off than my morris minor will put into the atmosphere in a lifetime :o
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The pollution in cities comes from lines and lines of buses - usually nearly empty - sitting idling in jams at traffic lights! Glasgow (for example) should never have got rid of it's tramcars - and trolley buses. Bring back the trolleys = no more City Centre pollution. Simples !!
ImageImage
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Can we please keep politics out of the 'General' section of this forum, at least?

Minor ownership is a hobby, something fun. I do not come here to find stories being pushed by Daniel Hannan talking vaguely about "growing concerns" based on basically nothing to get the 'out' crowd riled up.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

The subject directly affects historical car ownership nothing to do with in or out and you don't have to read it but those of us that want to would like the choice.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It happens now and then, dies out of its own accord usually. Just don't open topics that sound political, if it upsets.

MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

What also gets up my nose are all these 20mph zones now. From what I know it's done to save injury to padestrians / children !! yet people my age use common sense and also were taught how to cross a road ! (bring back the green cross code man !) are they not taught this anymore? Plus the 20mph has a more damaging effect on the environment polution wise due to having to use a lower gear hence less mpg over the 20mph zone.
It's mad I tell ya !!!!!!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I've never seen a speed camera in a 20 mph zone!

MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

les wrote:I've never seen a speed camera in a 20 mph zone!

I've seen the speed checking boards that show your speed, they always look like this :( when I go past'em !!!
namass1
Minor Friendly

Post by namass1 »

I see in CCW that only cars which are historically correct can be called classic. Anything otherwise- which I assume to mean cars with seatbelts or disc brakes- are just 'old cars'. This seems a bit harsh to me. What do you think?
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

New 20mph zone in Bounds Green London yesterday. Police there with speed guns pulling cars by the dozen. I did 20 both ways and got aggro from vehicles following (just wished they had passed me by the speed guns!

Bertie.