Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

4.22 diff

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have a 4.22 diff that I have considered fitting to my 948 engined car, as allot of people see this as an improvement that makes the car more long legged when it comes to long distance adventures.
However today when talking Moggies at the East Midlands Branch rally at Denby Potteries, somebody again suggested this as an improvement but said I'd need to change the Speedo to a 90 MPH one, which wouldn't therefore need recalibrating to suite the 4.22 diff. I thought it would only need recalibrating if I changed the gearbox, as the speedo cable is driven from there?? Or am I wrong about this??
Please can somebody advise, many thanks.
I have a couple of gold faced 90MPH speedo's squirrelled away, so it's not a problem if true.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: 4.22 diff

Post by Nickol »

you might like to look at the last few Posts in this thread which refer to you question .
http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56976

In any case, the speedo cable is indeed turned by and connected to the gearbox but the diff (as well as the wheel dia) is the deciding facor on which speedo needs to be fitted to give the correct reading.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

So basically, having read through the post you gave the link to, if I fit the 4.22 diff, I need to fit a speedo that was calibrated to go on a car that this type of diff was originally fitted to. Which fortunately I have. :P
One thing is for sure though --- you will never see 90mph in a Moggy fitted with a 948 engine!! :lol:
Many thanks,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Mike,
When I changed the diff from the 4.22 to the 3.9 on my 1098, I found that the speedo was now perfectly accurate compared to a sat nav. Small corrections (~2MPH) are easily done by re-positioning the needle. Major corrections require either a different speedo, re-calibration or fitting a corrector gearbox. The latter two options being the most expensive.
I would just change the diff, then beg borrow or steal a sat nav and go from there. You might be surprised and not have to do anything.
To re-position the needle I use two small espresso spoons at 180° to prise off the needle. Just make sure to use a layer of felt or a tissue under the spoons so as not to damage the dial face and watch how the needle goes into orbit! I did this recently on the MG TD when I changed the dial to KPH and it works a treat.

Regards
Declan[frame]Image[/frame]

Regards
Declan
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

One thing is for sure though --- you will never see 90mph in a Moggy fitted with a 948 engine!!  

Just how many brake horse power can a 948 deliver (just running on pump fuel, not nitro!)? Doubling the output should be more than enough if fitted with the right gearing? :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

When I changed the diff from the 4.22 to the 3.9 on my 1098, I found that the speedo was now perfectly accurate compared to a sat nav. Small corrections (~2MPH) are easily done by re-positioning the needle. Major corrections require either a different speedo, re-calibration or fitting a corrector gearbox. The latter two options being the most expensive.
I would just change the diff, then beg borrow or steal a sat nav and go from there. You might be surprised and not have to do anything.
To re-position the needle I use two small espresso spoons at 180° to prise off the needle. Just make sure to use a layer of felt or a tissue under the spoons so as not to damage the dial face and watch how the needle goes into orbit! I did this recently on the MG TD when I changed the dial to KPH and it works a treat.
Very interesting -- thanks.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Declan_Burns wrote:Mike,
When I changed the diff from the 4.22 to the 3.9 on my 1098, I found that the speedo ......

I did this recently on the MG TD when I changed the dial to KPH and it works a treat.

Regards
Declan[frame]Image[/frame]
DEclan, where did you manage to source a Km/hr dial from ??????
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Nickol,
I know a chap in Holland who makes them (both the dished and flat versions) and sells them at shows. He also makes rev counter dials and replacement clocks for the T-Series. The quality of his work is excellent.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Declan_Burns wrote:Nickol,
I know a chap in Holland who makes them (both the dished and flat versions) and sells them at shows. He also makes rev counter dials and replacement clocks for the T-Series. The quality of his work is excellent.

Regards
Declan
Can I get to know this chap as well???? Would much prefer to have Km as the dominant reading on the dial
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Nickol,
He doesn't make any Morris Minor parts but he will probably have a stand at the MG Parts jumble in Houten in Holland just after Christmas.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan