Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kittyhawk
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Alternator Wiring

Post by Kittyhawk »

Hello,

New member with a newly acquired 1968 Traveller. Just fitting an alternator and I read up an article in Minor Matters giving details of the wiring connections. When the kit came from Charles Ware, the wiring instructions were totally different and say to disconnect all the wires from the regulator and join four of them together with two from the alternator in a 6 way bullet connector. There are two wires from the alternator which terminate in a ring terminal which looks as if it should go to the positive terminal on the starter solenoid. Any help would be appreciated.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Alternator Wiring

Post by bmcecosse »

See the very simple wiring diagram for alternator at the head of this section. There have been quite a few 'challenges' shall I say with the CW conversion....... It really is very simple - just make sure the car is negative earth. Swap the coil connections and clean the points in the dizzy and the fuel pump. Do they bother to mention any of that??
ImageImage
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by andy.pointeer »

In your conversion instructions are they removing the control box, if so, that could be why they say connect the four wires together. In my instructions below from Bull Motif conversion kit, the control box is left in place.
[frame]Image[/frame]
With this and the diagram indicated by bmc at top of this section, you should be able to do the conversion

Hope my diagram helps
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
Kittyhawk
Minor Friendly

Post by Kittyhawk »

Thanks very much.
I just removed the F and D connections, wired the alternator output to the + terminal on the solenoid and the IND wire to connect into the ignition light circuit. The rest of the connections to the control box, I left in place. Your diagram shows that the black ground wires to the E terminal should be removed. I have left mine connected. Does this matter?

I fixed the coil to the RH inner wing, under the 'elephants trunk' air hose and all seems to work well
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

The 2 black 'Earth' wires can either be removed and joined together, or left in the 'E' terminal on the control box. With an alternator fitted, the only purpose they serve is to provide the earth for the wiper motor circuit - very bizarre piece of loom design to run the earth from the wiper switch all the way to the control box.

As in another post, the dynamo main feed wire is only rated at ~20A, and all alternators have a much higher output than that. What is the output of yours?
Richard

Kittyhawk
Minor Friendly

Post by Kittyhawk »

I think it's 36amp. It came as part of the kit. For the output cable, I used the thick and thin brown wires from the kit, not the original dynamo output wire
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

That sounds fine!
Richard