Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
meganwilkinson2008
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Timing @ carburetor

Post by meganwilkinson2008 »

Hi can anyone tell me how often you need to check the timing and also the mixture on the carburetor. I set mine up about two years ago and wondered if I should check it when I service it. Thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Timing @ carburetor

Post by philthehill »

If it is running well there is no point in doing anything.
The plugs should be biscuit brown and if they are the mixture is correct.
To check the mixture is correct - lift the carb piston pin and if the engine speeds up slightly and then goes back down again the mixture is correct.
If the engine is pulling well and not pinking then the timing is correct.
Phil

meganwilkinson2008
Minor Fan

Post by meganwilkinson2008 »

Great many thanks will check when I service it thanks for reply.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

For the timing: if it was timed correctly, it should not change unless the contact points burn or the gap reduces due to wear on the fibre cam follower. Soo, timing should only need setting at regular CB changes. Checking with a timing light can be reassuring re timing and advance/retard operation and only takes a few minutes. Proper cam lubrication is more important - to prevent any wear. Electronic ignition with contactless triggers (Hall effect transistors) should never need checking for static timing - just like modern cars.

Culprits for mixture changes are usually due to other components needing service - like a blocked air cleaner or an air leak into the system (I won't say a vacuum leak, as it never happens - it is always an air leak into the vacuum side!)

RAB