Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndrewT
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Gearbox internals

Post by AndrewT »

Hello all aquired 2 948 boxes today and have been looking into cutting the tail end of one to machine down to fit a 1098 box with my 803 tail end (I have a 1954 with the wand stick) some may ask why not just fit the 948 with my tail end but these boxes seem to be getting hard to find parts for so,my first question is:

Can 1098 internals be fitted to 948 boxes? If not do I:
Cut one 948 tail end for the conversion plate to fit a 1098 box then add my 803 tail end?
Or keep searching for 948 bits and try rebuilding them if they need it?
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearbox internals

Post by ianmack »

I've just rebuilt a 948 box including an 803 long stick rear end. I can't help with your first two questions but I was certainly able to get all the 948 parts I needed, some new some secondhand. There is a good exploded view on the Moss parts website.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

So you have two 948 boxes. Are either of them good - or, if not, do you know what is wrong with them? I would identify what parts might be needed and search around for them before cutting anything up...........
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

Unsure as if yet I just picked them up one has a gear stick and selects gears other is missing the stick they both turn free and seem smooth so hoping they will be fine and just a simple freshen up if I do require parts (heard there hard to find) anyone know the best places??
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Andrew Bywater (of Mirabelle Classic Cars) I believe has a good stock of parts - I've bought some bits from him in the past. He posts on here sometimes I think, but you can look up his website.

I think the 948 box is redundant if you're using a 1098 box to adapt for your 803. A couple of people on here have done it - callyspoy and also, IIRC, smithskids? Ask them for details on the machining required. You do need to machine the box if you're using the 1098, but the conversion using the 948 box is much more straightforward.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I suppose the other question would be what engine is currently in the car- is it still the 803, or has it been upgraded to a 948, or even 1098?
Normally, I would say match the gearbox to the engine...........
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

Running a 1098 engine I want to keep the wang stick so i guess I could always rebuild one box and use that and in the mean time rebuild the other leaving me with one box in the car and another waiting and also get a 1098 use one tail end of my 948 box as the one to be machined and keep any eye out for a 1098
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

To fit a smooth case (948) gearbox to a 1098 engine will require the 948 flywheel and clutch, unless you want to start milling out the bellhousing to take the larger 1098 flywheel/clutch. The bigger engine may shorten the life of a 948 smooth case gearbox.