Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Wiring loom tape

Post by olderisbetter »

My 58 traveller loom has the original loom but the cloth tubing has fallen appart and looks a real pain to replace, I don't want to use pvc tape as it looks a bit messy and cheap, any ideas on something that looks better ?

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: Wiring loom tape

Post by firedrake1942 »

There are plenty of people on line who sell a cloth tape but it appears only in black. There are cloth sleeves of varying lengths and varying colours but I can only see split sleeving, which would be easy to fit, in black. Examples below:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/braided-sleeving

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3MM-16MM-TIGHT- ... 1321204666

I agree it would be great to get a multicoloured cloth tape to repair old looms where the only damage or wear is the outer cloth covering. If the internal cabling is rubber covered, as i believe they originally were, then I would replace the lot as the rubber coating can degrade causing shorts too earth and in some cases fire.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

If you either already have, or can get the complete harness out of the car, it can be recovered in the original flecked colour scheme (so long as you have a 'good' sample to work from). Ours is a 1958 and the loom covering is black with red and yellow flecks. The individual wires are plastic covered (yours should be too?), so no problems with 'rot'! Also a good opportunity to include any additional circuits that have been added over the years, e.g. flashing indicators, heated rear screen(s), reverse light, rear fog light etc.

The people to contact are:

Autosparks in Nottingham
+44 (0)115 949 7211
http://www.autosparks.co.uk

The cost is around £60/70 + VAT. They are excellent and the loom is visually 'new' once done.
Richard

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I wonder how they do it? Taking the loom out is a sod of a job unless you have stripped the car at the same time. That said the cost of recovering vs a new loom at several hundred quid is a no brainer! Be great though if you could get the coloured cloth tape, if only to do the visible areas.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

The actual loom shape/structure is unimportant, they just cover whatever is presented to them, and weave the appropriate 'age' pattern that they are supplied with. The process is virtually identical to the original, but likely done on much more modern machines!

Our loom has as much added to it as there was originally (spot lights, electronic ignition, flashing indicators, dual horns, electric cooling fan, reverse light, rear fog etc., etc.), but is all covered in 1958 spec harness material. It is a superb service from Autosparks.
Richard