Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Electrolytic rust removal

Post by GavinL »

I've seen a couple of references to this on the message board, but didn't find any details, so i thought i'd share my experiences. I've used it successfully on a range of bits, most recently brake back plates and suspension arms. The set up is very simple, a large plastic dustbin, a packet of washing soda, some scrap metal and a 12v battery charger. The bucket is filled with a washing soda solution ( 1 tablespoon per gallon), and the scrap metal is suspended around the inside of the dustbin, connected together with a bit of wire. the bit to be derusted is attached to another wire and dangled into the middle of the dustbin. the battery charger is then connected up, the +ve to the anodes ( the scrap) and -ve to the cathode ( part to be derusted), plugged in and left for a day or two, depending on how rusty the bit is. if there is paint on the part, it is worth scraping it to help loosed the paint, and you need to ensure the anodes and cathode aren't touching. After a day or so, the part can be taken out and cleaned up under running water with a scouring pad, after which you should be left with a part that is shiny where there is no rust, and any previous rust will be black. Below are photos of my set up, and a before and after of a splash shield off a Midget. Having used this for a while now i wouldn't use any other method, the dustbin lives in the workshop, and as long as you aren't in a rush the results are excellent.
Attachments
After treatment
After treatment
image.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 2084 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2084 times
Before treatment
Before treatment
image.jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2084 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Electrolytic rust removal

Post by jagnut66 »

Very good indeed! :D
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The only trouble is it doesn't stay like that for very long :(
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

and it would be hard to fit a moggy in. :D :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To me it seems like a lot of work and effort when you can use the likes of FERTAN and end up in the same place.

https://www.fertan.co.uk/?product=fertan-rust-converter

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I've used this method also with good results on my stationary engine parts. I also bought a gallon of Jenolite which worked well, but not for long which made it quite expensive!
You can buy a LOT of soda crystals for the same price!

Alan
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Electrolytic rust removal does seen to work well but I always use citric acid. It's very safe (used in bath bombs so can go down the drain) and if left for long enough, a couple of days maybe, will remove even deep seated rust. It's dead cheap too.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I've also used citric acid with great success. Like Panky said, it's safe and cheap. It's also odourless. A few years ago I stripped and rebuilt a Suffolk Colt lawnmower, back to bare metal. I did it all with citric acid. I did find that it needed a light coat of oil immediately after being removed or it would flash rust in seconds.
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Using washing soda has the added benefit of removing the paint as well, it is very effective, and you are not converting the rust, but removing it entirely to bare metal.
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Citric acid works very well indeed and is very easy and straightforward.