Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
glokkk
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Using Marina torsion bar adjusters

Post by glokkk »

:o Hello all. I have located a Marina with stronger bars, however l cannot work out how to remove the rear of the bar from the crossmember in the Marina. Is there a trick to it? There does not appear to be any access holes in the crossmember to get at the back of the torsion bar. ANY advice from learned members? :o
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The Marina torsion bar is not secured at its rear end like the Minor.
To remove a Marina torsion bar - basically you have to disconnect the ball joint from the top suspension link and let the suspension drop.
Slacken the the eye bolt nut (on top of the chassis leg) so that suspension lowers at least 1/2" .
Remove the bolt and washers from the torsion bar reaction arm. Move the reaction bar forward along the torsion bar. Move the torsion bar forward to clear its shoulder from the chassis mount . Lower the torsion bar and remove rearwards.
To remove the reaction arm you will need to remove the circlip fitted on the rear end of the torsion bar.
If you are going to use Marina parts on a Minor I would recommend that you obtain a Morris Marina workshop manual Pt No: AKM4580. To remove a torsion bar is covered by section 60.20.42.
What ever you do do it safely.

glokkk
Minor Friendly

Post by glokkk »

That is most helpful, thank you so much. I managed to remove the swivel pin & disc brake assemblies, no problem there. I have also removed the nut from the top of both of the eye bolts. So all I am left with now on the vehicle is the torsion bar, with rear adjuster still attached to the torsion bar & the cast lower suspension arm at the front of the bar. If l understand you correctly, l have to drop the eye bolt through the chassis, to allow the bar to move forward? :-?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As you have gone so far I would remove the eye bolt and withdraw the torsion bar with thick suspension arm after removing the reaction bar bolts.
Be aware that it is not unusual to find that the torsion bar is seized inside the thick suspension arm though.
Good luck.

glokkk
Minor Friendly

Post by glokkk »

Philthehill; any chance you could PM me the details on how to use the 20.6 torsion bars? :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

No need to PM.
Nearly all of the information required is in the thread above. Additional information can be found in the booklet from ESM called 'From Marina to Minor and the Owen Burton information sheets below.
The only additional things to consider is the length of the torsion bar.
Fit the rear torsion bar splined boss. Fit the front splined boss and measure the distance between the two faces.
Cut the torsion bar to length. If metal is to be removed from the torsion bar remove it from the circlip end of the torsion bar. If the torsion bar is too short you may have to pack the torsion bar.
Below is a photo of the front end of the torsion bar and suspension arms.
I have used Marina thick suspension arms and Minor thin suspension arms. The pivot pins are modified Marina items. The eye bolts are Mina Mania negative camber eye bolts. The dampers are mounted to the rear of the suspension arms. The revised layout for the anti-roll bar places the rose jointed link to the rear of the suspension arm.
Marina suspension 22.JPG
Marina suspension 22.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 347 times
Owen Burton torsion bar convertors 3.jpg
Owen Burton torsion bar convertors 3.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 346 times
Owen Burton torsion bar convertors 2 (2).jpg
Owen Burton torsion bar convertors 2 (2).jpg (292.13 KiB) Viewed 345 times

glokkk
Minor Friendly

Post by glokkk »

That's awesome ! Thank you