Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
martin418
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

engine / gearbox rubber quality

Post by martin418 »

hi i just wondered if a good supplier of engine / gearbox mounting rubbers has been found yet , i have drilled one new engine mount and still have a 65 year old one going strong but at some point i need replacements
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: engine / gearbox rubber quality

Post by philthehill »

Try MMOC club spares.
I obtained my last set of NOS engine/gearbox mounts from Bryan Gostling, Club Spares Manager tel: 07831574495.

Here is an alternative:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... SwLi1ccuYb

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

is it the stiffness of the new ones which is the problem? they are all new on ours and seem to be lasting fine but do seem to have the consistency of a house brick.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

kevin s wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:47 pm is it the stiffness of the new ones which is the problem? they are all new on ours and seem to be lasting fine but do seem to have the consistency of a house brick.
Yes - quite a few people (myself included) have had issues with vibration being transmitted from the engine through the mounts to the body of the car when new ones have been fitted, as they are far harder than the originals. There were loads of posts about it some years ago - some advocated drilling some holes in the mounts to 'soften' them a bit. I got hold of some good second-hand ones and fitted them to my car and they are much better than the new ones I bought. This was 8 or 10 years ago though, so it's possible the quality of the new ones has improved since then.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

A Shore 'A' reading needs to be taken if the definitive hardness (or softness) of an engine mount rubber is to be determined.
The finger nail test is not accurate enough to determine the hardness of any bush or engine mount.