Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster
MMOC Member: Yes

Social Media content

Post by Admin »

I'm thinking of copying some content over from our social media groups to show some of what gets posted there, but then it occurs to me that there are a fair few members here who are already in those groups too so don't want to duplicate stuff. Maybe we could have a Subject prefix or something to indicate that the post has been copied from elsewhere, or something like that. What do you think? No rush, it wouldn't happen until after the board moved home anyway and we made a start on our new rules and what have you. but I thought I'd put the idea out there to see what you thought.
Meanwhile, here's a pic I posted there today after collecting one of my lads from the Cathedral Quarter in Lincoln this evening.
cathedral.jpg
cathedral.jpg (489.28 KiB) Viewed 938 times
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Social Media content

Post by nutmegct »

My thought: social media photos and videos might be a welcome addition here, perhaps in their own Social Media section. The social media I've seen over the last years seem geared to "show and tell" more than technical advice, so we'd likely appreciate sharing the visuals here.

I wonder if there's any restriction on "copying" photos - or links to photos - to other public websites like this?

Thanks for asking.
Tom M.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

nutmegct wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:57 pm wonder if there's any restriction on "copying" photos - or links to photos - to other public websites like this?
Well the way I see it, it would fall into two issues:

1) Hot Linking (posting a direct link to external content) is frowned upon by some sites because it uses up their bandwidth without you having to visit the site.

2) Copyright, if it's your own image then the only restrictions are ones you impose yourself, otherwise technically you could argue you should seek the copyright holders permission, but alot of people would consider if it's posted on a public group/site that you don't need to register for then at worst you'd merely have to credit the original poster of an image.
Admin wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:52 pm Meanwhile, here's a pic I posted there today after collecting one of my lads from the Cathedral Quarter in Lincoln this evening.
That picture looks far too still and quiet considering the gusty wind there's been all day :D
Admin wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:52 pm so don't want to duplicate stuff.
But when Facebook becomes a 3D avatar based Metaverse, all the content will be in a 3D world and the good ol' 2D forums in whatever form they've taken will be there for archival purposes :)
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

On the subject of copyright, on social media channels quite often when you upload an image you lose the rights to it and it essentially belongs to the tech giant. They get to use it in any way they see fit, without needing your further consent. It’s buried in the small print of Meta’s Instagram, I believe, for example.

I think it’s a good idea though. I know there are others like me on here that refuse to use Facebook, but being able to see the club content from there on these forums would be useful. The forums are, in my view, a much more useful resource.
Last edited by MorrisJohn on Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by nutmegct »

MorrisJohn: "The forums are, in my view, a much more useful resource."

Amen to that. The social media seem to be mostly for fun: "hey, look what I had for breakfast" "isn't my kitten cute?". Forums seem created mostly for sharing useful information and teaching.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

It would need to be very carefully considered as to what was and was not an appropriate copy over.
There are a few things that have come up on the facebook group that would be of interest, but perhaps10% of the total that gets published.

Some of the fb stuff is garbage from the point of view that it gets posted repeatedly, because people can't conveniently search fb for the answer they seek.

Personally, I think that many of the subjects from there, that would be worth having over here, are not suitable to be on fb to start with.
For example, the post that ask a simple question like, how do I do 'so and so', yet the answer requires knowing the year and model of the car, and what changes have been made to it over the years, because there are several possible answers.

There's one that been running for a while, a video of the car not starting and the comment
Fuel troubles? I’m almost certain it is but I have no idea where to start! Plugs are all sparking and engine is cranking but won’t fire! There’s fuel in the carb but no ticking at the turn of the key?
Now after some 50 responses, many relevant, but also some completely the opposite, the OP has said a new set of plugs has fixed it....
But all the comments have been so brief, no real investigative discussion took place.
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I think I'm very much with you, Berni.

Soc Med (by that I mean F/B, as it's the only one I have any association with) and forums like this, are really 2 different beasts. F/B is great for stuff of general interest and pointing people in the right direction to try and solve a problem but, as you say, there's a lot of repetition and some dodgy advice from people who really don't know what they're talking about! Err, not that I do, when it comes to anything technical, hence why I don't proffer my advice. I'm happy to say what my experience may have been on some issue/product or other other but that's about it.

Perhaps F/B posters could be invited to re-direct their technical queries to this and/or similar forums. The chances are, that a quick search will reveal that the problem has been covered multiple times anyway.

I'm sure some people post on F/B just for the sake of asking a question - typically, ''Where can I get hold of............?'' Have they never heard of the well-known auction site that starts with 'E' and ends in 'Bay' or even that search engine the begins with 'G' and ends in 'oogle'?

Alan
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Owlsman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:03 pm
I'm sure some people post on F/B just for the sake of asking a question
Don't... Some people are so stupid I wonder how they even understand how to operate a device.

In the past year, the most stupid thing I've seen posted was, on 2 occasions, people on our village fb Groups not knowing which county they lived in.
Literally, people who had brought a new house in the village and because we have a NG postcode they thought they were in Nottinghamshire.
Who commits to £300,000 of debt on a house without checking everything, such as the local authority and seeing what the council tax is going to be?
Decades ago, we lived near Thetford in Norfolk, but our postcode was IP for Ipswich, some 50 miles away on the Suffolk Coast! :roll: :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I got the impression (maybe I'm mistaken) that in terms of carrying over content, it was mostly going to be media rather than text, questions etc.
geoberni wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:35 pm because we have a NG postcode they thought they were in Nottinghamshire.
I forget who the company were, but I remember a company signing a contract to do repair work. They thought that based on the postcode all repair work was to be carried out in a major city.

Imagine their surprise when they learnt that it was actually off-shore... :D (and they had to do it, they'd signed the legally binding contract).