Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Windscreen Washers - What year?

Post by MorrisJohn »

Can anyone shed any light on when windscreen washers became available as an optional extra on the Minor, and from what year they became standard equipment?

My search for this information is proving fruitless so far.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Windscreen Washers - What year?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
From what I can find, it appears they first became a legal requirement from June 1986 though that seems a bit late to me.
I thought they first had to be retrofitted (if necessary) to pass an MOT in the early 1970's.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... d-vehicles
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... on/34/made
However, if you scroll down on this 'Pistonheads' page, someone is suggesting an even earlier date of 1934.......
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1566783
Though I don't know what source they are quoting from.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

My mid-1961 car didn't have them originally. My 1962 acr had them factory fitted.
I have seen reference to them being fitted to Deluxe models from late 1961 and I would think that they were standard equipment on all Minors a year or so later? The BMC parts book gives an introduction at chassis no 934674 if that's any help.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks. That’s very helpful. Well, my 1957 car still doesn’t have them. It seems nobody bothered to fit them! Curiously, it does have a washer bottle though in the usual place at the back right of the engine bay.

I have ordered an electrical type kit, switch operated, from ESM. Another little job to do before the spring…

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Your car must have had some fitted at some stage as they've been a legal/MOT requirement for decades - and, as you say, the bottle is present. Many older Minor which had them added post production had the jet(s) mounted on the bonnet. Mine has. Maybe your car did and then had the bonnet changed for some reason prior to your purchase.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

ManyMinors wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:23 am Your car must have had some fitted at some stage as they've been a legal/MOT requirement for decades - and, as you say, the bottle is present. Many older Minor which had them added post production had the jet(s) mounted on the bonnet. Mine has. Maybe your car did and then had the bonnet changed for some reason prior to your purchase.
Yeah, that adds up. My car had a replacement bonnet a few years ago. No control in dash for operating one though.

That’s what I’ll do, I’ll mount a twin spray jet in the centre of the bonnet. Just the one hole.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I suspect that there is no sign of a washer bottle pump or switch mount in or on the dash as the Minor latterly was factory fitted with a hand operated pump mounted on a bracket attached to the flange at the bottom of the dash. A switch for an electric pump could also have been fitted on a bracket again attached to the flange at the bottom of the dash.
Make sure that the feed pipe from or in the bottle is fitted with a one way/non return valve otherwise the screen wash will drain back to the bottle and then the pump will take some time to get screen wash to the jets.
The switch should also be a press to activate - release to stop not a on/off switch.
This thread brings back memories of retro fitting dozens of screen wash kits to all sorts of vehicles in the early 1970s. :D

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

philthehill wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:35 am …Make sure that the feed pipe from or in the bottle is fitted with a one way/non return valve otherwise the screen wash will drain back to the bottle and then the pump will take some time to get screen wash to the jets.
The switch should also be a press to activate - release to stop not a on/off switch.
This thread brings back memories of retro fitting dozens of screen wash kits to all sorts of vehicles in the early 1970s. :D
Thanks Phil. I ordered a non-return valve with the kit and nozzle. Hopefully it all comes with fitting instructions of some kind.

Couldn’t find a mounting bracket for the push type switch, but I do already have a surplus switch mounted below my dash from where I disconnected some flashing LED lights.

To keep things as simple as possible in the first instance I’d like to make use of that existing switch. I disconnected it from the fuse box and taped it up when I removed the LEDs.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:39 pm Hi,
From what I can find, it appears they first became a legal requirement from June 1986 though that seems a bit late to me.
Mike
it's just that the earlier Regulations are not available online.
Motor Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations go back a long way, they can get amendments issued every year or so, sometimes more than once a year, usually to correct mistakes made in drafting the original Regulations, but for some reason they don't seem to have uploaded the older ones, even if they are post WWII.

I suspect you're right and washers requirement date from at least the mid 60s. It's in the 1978 Regs, which totally revoked the 1973 Regs, but 1973's not available online.
washers.JPG
washers.JPG (48.74 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I seem to remember the regulations coming in around 1966 but it excluded cars (and other vehicles) with opening windscreens(!)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:46 pm I seem to remember the regulations coming in around 1966 but it excluded cars (and other vehicles) with opening windscreens(!)
Still excludes opening windscreens....
MOT manual item 3.5
You do not need to inspect windscreen washers on vehicles with:
an opening windscreen
some other means of providing the driver with an adequate view through the windscreen to the front, left and right

Washers must provide enough fluid for the wipers to clear the windscreen effectively.
So in theory perhaps a really good layer of Rain-X or similar could allow you not to have washers. :o
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

So in theory perhaps a really good layer of Rain-X or similar could allow you not to have washers.
I found Rain-X to be a good product, or at least it used to be, I haven't had cause to replace my last bottle yet.....
Though I wouldn't do without screen washer jets, far too useful.
Best wishes,
Mike
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I had to fit windscreen washers to my Ford Consul Mk2 in 1973 to comply with MOT regs. Up until then, a fairy liquid bottle filled with water sufficed.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

You are better off putting the jets on the scuttle as they were on the factory fitted cars, out of the way. A screen washer was an optional extra for many years, and several types were available. I have a Lucas Electric Screenjet and a Trico vacuum washer but the manual plunger on my 1000 is simple and effective.
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

jagnut66 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:38 pm
So in theory perhaps a really good layer of Rain-X or similar could allow you not to have washers.
I found Rain-X to be a good product, or at least it used to be, I haven't had cause to replace my last bottle yet.....
Though I wouldn't do without screen washer jets, far too useful.
Best wishes,
Mike
It’s still good, and you’re right… one bottle is a ‘lifetime’s supply’, it lasts for ages
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:59 pm You are better off putting the jets on the scuttle as they were on the factory fitted cars, out of the way. A screen washer was an optional extra for many years, and several types were available. I have a Lucas Electric Screenjet and a Trico vacuum washer but the manual plunger on my 1000 is simple and effective.
How do you get the tubing from the bottle into under the scuffle panel area to connect to the jet(s)? I’ve now decided to go for a manual push button rather than electric pump.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MorrisJohn wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:37 am
JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:59 pm You are better off putting the jets on the scuttle as they were on the factory fitted cars, out of the way. A screen washer was an optional extra for many years, and several types were available. I have a Lucas Electric Screenjet and a Trico vacuum washer but the manual plunger on my 1000 is simple and effective.
How do you get the tubing from the bottle into under the scuffle panel area to connect to the jet(s)? I’ve now decided to go for a manual push button rather than electric pump.
Well as you can see here, my SII manual pipe goes in next to where the Radio antenna cable comes out. I had to go out and check what the black cable was. I guess it depends where the Container is situated; some seem to have their container on the Offside inner wing.
20170906_112623.jpg
20170906_112623.jpg (429.45 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The offside inner wing is the best place for the bottle because it is the most upright part of the engine bay, spacious and away from the exhaust pipe. The washer tube follows the wiring along the inner wing and there is a bunged hole through the bulkhead. I am just saying what the design engineers did here when they were fitted at the factory. I can get a photo, if it helps.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks for your help. I’ll figure it out I’m sure. My bottle is located in the same place as Berni’s.