Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peted7202
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Test Run Engine

Post by Peted7202 »

I've rebuilt my 1098 engine and want to test run it before installing in the car. It has a generator and was positive earth when installed. How do I set up for a test run? Is there a problem with voltage regulation if the generator is not connected to the control box for the test?
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Test Run Engine

Post by James k »

I test ran my engine on the floor before installing. I fitted the distributor, coil and starter motor. I connected a jump lead from the battery negative to the metal of the engine and another jump lead to the battery positive with the wire for the ignition clamped under the jump lead. To start, I just touched the positive jump lead to the starter motor terminal.

I had the dynamo fitted but not connected up so it was only functioning as an idler pulley so the water pump turned. Since the battery was only running the ignition, the charging wasn't needed. I didn't have the fan blades fitted.

Petrol was just gravity fed to the carb and a radiator was connected up and cooled with an electric fan.
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

James
How did you connect the coil? Have you a simple wiring line diagram?
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

The coil is connected with one side to the distributor low tension lead and the other side to the battery positive, plus the HT lead to the distributor, of course.
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

This was for negative earth. Mine is positive. What do I need to do to connect it as negative?
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Just wire it up as described since you don't need to connect the dynamo. If converting the car to negative earth, you'll need to 'flash' the dynamo to repolarise it. Alternatively, if you want to wire it up positive earth on the test, just swap round battery positive and negative in my description.
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

Thanks