Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fuel Tank Sender for Pre 64 Morris Traveller

Post by Bubblemechanic »

Hi Guy's and gals of Moggy land I was wondering if any one has a pre 64 Fuel Tank Petrol gauge sender in working order they may have spare but it has to be Pre 64 because they changed in 64, I have been onto David Manners and they say it has been discontinued I have been onto ESM and they are expecting some in but not till December.
The problem is that my gauge in the car reads 1/2 full when the petrol is up the spout to the top so I am suspecting the sender is faulty?
is there an alternative that anyone knows of or is it fixable?
Cheers Paul.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Fuel Tank Sender for Pre 64 Morris Traveller

Post by geoberni »

The original fuel gauge system is notoriously 'variable' in it's display, that's why they switched to a stabilised type when they were available.

Where is it at other levels?
How much is left in the tank when it reads Empty?
Which comes first, Empty tank or Empty gauge reading?

It could be the gauge...
It could be a bad earth connection at the tank...
Check it out with a Multimeter before rushing to spend on a sender, when you can find one.....
Basil the 1955 series II

Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly

Post by Bubblemechanic »

Hi guy's and gals after reading your replies and after spending most of today stripping the rear boards and cover off the back of the traveller to get at the petrol gauge sender I found out that I had an Earth fault so fixed that but still no luck the gauge only read 1/2 a tank even though the tank was full
So after syphoning off about 12ltrs so I could take out the sender and checking the connection of the nut on the sender (nice and tight) was told by an Auto Electrician that if you touch the cable off the bolted connection to earth then the gauge in the car should go to Zero which it did,
Then if you take it off the earth the gauge should go to full (which it did) then the gauge in the Speedo is working ok so no problem with gauge
So decided to take the whole unit out of the tank and found that the arm and float did not move so after a soak in WD40 and some gentle moving back and forth got it moving with no resistance put it back in place connected wires and everything came back to life and gauge working as should.
So thank you for the replies and advice Cheers from a happy bunny
Paul.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Well done.
Sometimes all it needs is a little time and effort.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Good news. :tu1:
Always worth investigating before jumping in an replacing something. Some people waste a lot of money changing items 'on spec' rather than doing some basic fault finding.
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Another one not to be found in the usual manuals and text books, so well done in sorting that!
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly

Post by Bubblemechanic »

Thank you all for your nice replies