My first time

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Denisd
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

My first time

Post by Denisd »

Hi all, thanks for the add, just a little bit of info here, I picked up my 1969 Morris a few weeks ago and intend on going the full journey with taking it apart and bringing it back to life for using at my leisure. It's running but been left to the elements and neglected, I hope to gather all the information I need here and annoy you lads and lassies with rookie questions. I'm in Sligo, Ireland by the way but don't let that put you off :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: My first time

Post by philthehill »

Denisd
Welcome to the world of Morris Minors.
Phil

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Welcome to the Mad House, well, it's not really that Crazy. .....Honest.
You'll find lots of info built up over the years; some searches of the site will reveal very different personal opinions if there's not a 'Book Answer' to the question, and even after all these years new questions can crop up.

With a '69, you've near the end of the production so not too much should be different from what the book says. Us with far older cars are much more likely to have a surprise. :o
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, with all these cars it depends what previous owners may, or may not, have done as to how much they may have been (ahem) altered. But I agree, earlier cars do seem to have suffered a greater degree of 'molestation' than later ones.......
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Thanks lads, I still don't know how to put up pictures here but so far I have taken out the ugly modern ish front seats and the very shabby back seats, then the fairly decent floor carpets and mats were removed and there was the good old reliable rust landscape underneath, nothing I didn't expect. The other thing is that all the carpets and door cards are red, the body colour is kinda wine red textured paint rubbish, however the tax book says the car is blue, I have one original rear seat back in good nick that is blue. I prefer blue and I may go that route, anyway it's not going to be done next week, hang in there if ye want. :wink:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hello and welcome.
What shade of blue? Dark or light?
Trafalgar blue is a very common colour, which is in the mid to dark zone.
Teal blue is, I believe, less common. However I don't know if it was still available when your car came off the line......
Of course, as it is your car, you may choose whatever colour or shade you like.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi and Welcome :D

There are some threads on this site detailing excellent full restorations. You might have to go back quite a few years to see some, but they are well worth the search. I am sure you find them helpful.
Don
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

jagnut66 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:46 pm Hello and welcome.
What shade of blue? Dark or light?
Trafalgar blue is a very common colour, which is in the mid to dark zone.
Teal blue is, I believe, less common. However I don't know if it was still available when your car came off the line......
Of course, as it is your car, you may choose whatever colour or shade you like.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome, I prefer a darker blue, I will pick one that I like but it's way down the line yet, I hope to be able to do it myself (a fingers crossed empty pockets big hope)
Denis here.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

don58van wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:27 pm Hi and Welcome :D

There are some threads on this site detailing excellent full restorations. You might have to go back quite a few years to see some, but they are well worth the search. I am sure you find them helpful.
Don
Hi Don, thanks, ya I'm digging and learning, picked up a Haynes manual and a few other books today that will be a great help.
Denis
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Good luck with your restoration. I expect there will be plenty of work ahead. The main thing is to get the body structure right to begin with and then move on to the cosmetic stuff later. With some searching, good secondhand seats can usually be found and painting a car yourself can be done too as other restorations here will testify. You'll be able to find out more about your cars original colour scheme - if you wish to - by getting in touch with the motor museum at Gaydon in Warwickshire as they hold the production records. A darkish blue will be Trafalgar blue. Teal blue was only used on later Travellers and commercials in the Minor range. Trafalgar blue was usually paired with a light blue interior. I wouldn't get too hung up about originality unless you want to though. As somebody has already suggested, it is your car!!
We'll all hope to see some pictures when you master the attachments :tu1:
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

I hope these work
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Mmm. That's going to keep you busy! The floor is pretty corroded as you say and it looks as if it has already had new floor pans added to the LH side!
It must have been stored in very damp conditions?
It can all be done I suppose if you are determined enough. Good luck with it :)
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:07 pm Mmm. That's going to keep you busy! The floor is pretty corroded as you say and it looks as if it has already had new floor pans added to the LH side!
It must have been stored in very damp conditions?
It can all be done I suppose if you are determined enough. Good luck with it :)
Yep, stored outside in the elements, I'm determined and I am not too worried about the corrosion, cut it all out and replace and repair properly, my welding/fabrication apprenticeship is going to come in handy :wink:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The great thing about Morris Minors is the amazing parts availability. Much of the underside can be replaced fairly easily and relatively inexpensively :)
I know some people say that the repair panels aren't accurate but I've found most of the UK made panels to be pretty good quality and value I must say.
I think it is harder to rebuild a car which has already had replacement panels than a "virgin" car. I admire you taking on one in that condition.

I assume the car is in Ireland? I know that some were assembled there. Is yours one of them do you know? If it is, then quite possible the colour range was different to the English assembled cars?
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:36 pm The great thing about Morris Minors is the amazing parts availability. Much of the underside can be replaced fairly easily and relatively inexpensively :)
I know some people say that the repair panels aren't accurate but I've found most of the UK made panels to be pretty good quality and value I must say.
I think it is harder to rebuild a car which has already had replacement panels than a "virgin" car. I admire you taking on one in that condition.

I assume the car is in Ireland? I know that some were assembled there. Is yours one of them do you know? If it is, then quite possible the colour range was different to the English assembled cars?
Ya it's here in Ireland, don't know where it was assembled, I am looking forward to getting stuck into the fabrication work.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Goodness! A lot of work to be done but it will be epic if you can save this one. Cars like this would have gone to the scrapyard without a second thought only a few years ago. But you have improved it immeasurably already by removing those front seats! :lol: