My first time

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: My first time

Post by svenedin »

Definitely really quite non-standard in that engine bay. As mentioned there's a brake servo but I also notice an alternator rather than a dynamo, something odd with the heater take off and you mention the fuel pump but from what I can see of it, it isn't the standard SU fuel pump.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As regards the heater take off - someone has ingeniously fitted a temp gauge take off into the heater pipe. Not a lot of good as the pipe is the return pipe to the water pump so the temp reading will be lower than it actually is in in the engine block.
The fuel pump is not standard as pointed out above. A photo of the pump as now fitted would be appreciated so as to determine what pump is fitted.
The servo and brake master cylinder are fitted in the style of a Morris Marina conversion but the Marina mounting box does not look the same as normally fitted and the servo/master cylinder is not Marina. A photo of the label on the top of the servo would be most helpful.
The fitment of an alternator is not unusual.

Denisd
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Denisd »

svenedin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:46 pm Definitely really quite non-standard in that engine bay. As mentioned there's a brake servo but I also notice an alternator rather than a dynamo, something odd with the heater take off and you mention the fuel pump but from what I can see of it, it isn't the standard SU fuel pump.
Correct :tu1:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Chassis number suffixed with an "E" & the Brittain's 1098cc 2dr code will be "10M"....I think...?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

OP mentioned getting a replacement fuel pump. Couple of things I’d suggest before installing that. Drain the old fuel out via the petrol tank drain plug underneath the car. The fuel is bound to have gone off and likely bits of rust in there. Replace with fresh fuel and remember to add a lead replacement additive unless you know the car has a lead free cylinder head. I wouldn’t trust the rubber fuel hoses at all. Likely perished and will leak which is dangerous. Replace them. Obviously check oil and water before starting the engine although you mentioned you have had it started already. Reason for this is that I did start a car that had been standing a long time. It blocked the hard fuel line with crud and even using compressed air we could not unblock it. Save yourself that hassle!

Stephen
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

svenedin wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:49 am OP mentioned getting a replacement fuel pump. Couple of things I’d suggest before installing that. Drain the old fuel out via the petrol tank drain plug underneath the car. The fuel is bound to have gone off and likely bits of rust in there. Replace with fresh fuel and remember to add a lead replacement additive unless you know the car has a lead free cylinder head. I wouldn’t trust the rubber fuel hoses at all. Likely perished and will leak which is dangerous. Replace them. Obviously check oil and water before starting the engine although you mentioned you have had it started already. Reason for this is that I did start a car that had been standing a long time. It blocked the hard fuel line with crud and even using compressed air we could not unblock it. Save yourself that hassle!
Thanks for the advice Stephen, believe it or not but this car was being used up to a few months ago!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Wow. I had not realised that it was being used recently!

Stephen
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

svenedin wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:27 am Wow. I had not realised that it was being used recently!
I was shocked, the last insurance disc on it was 2018
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

That’s 4 years ago though? Petrol goes off in 6 months….You can add a stabiliser to the fuel though. It seems to work for the fuel I keep for garden equipment but fresh fuel is best.

Stephen
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

svenedin wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:24 pm That’s 4 years ago though? Petrol goes off in 6 months….You can add a stabiliser to the fuel though. It seems to work for the fuel I keep for garden equipment but fresh fuel is best.
Oh I have run the engine though
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Took out the glass today, fairly easy, no damage done, all the seals were shot.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Not getting easier but definitely getting lighter!