Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Cleaning agent

Post by les »

I’ve been doing a lot of guessing about what I could use to remove the stains from the inside of this header tank without damaging it but perhaps I could get some advice from the forum? The tank looks like its made from polythene.
EAC906F6-424D-4D76-A2BE-559945E081C3.jpeg
EAC906F6-424D-4D76-A2BE-559945E081C3.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1085 times

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cleaning agent

Post by panky »

I've used Ariel washing powder and hot water in various plastic screen wash and header tanks. Left over night it does a pretty good job. If it's rusty stains then you could also try a spoon full of citric acid if the washing powder doesn't work.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for that idea, one of my thought was bleach but washing powder, well yes.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Coincidentally, I read, this morning, a recommendation for Milton's Sterilising Fluid as a sure-fire method of removing heavy tea stains from mugs and teapots. Might well be worth a try on your header tank too.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well thank you ! Just looked it up —— it a kind of bleach apparently.

Biggles1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Biggles1957 »

Milton is a chlorine type agent. We use soda crystals (Wilko, Tesco etc) to clean out tea pots etc and it works extremely well - soak overnight. I remember someone saying that Steradent (is that still made??) tablets work very well too.
The Scotmoose
Minor Friendly

Post by The Scotmoose »

Steradent tablets do work really well at removing stains on white/clear plastics. There are some available which work in just a matter of minutes, but you should avoid them as only good if used daily with dentures from new (been there, done that) - Get the original ones (use hand hot water, not boiling as can cause warping) and leave overnight and you should be good to go. Soda crystals might be another way to go.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Just to say, before I could take up all the suggestions I found one of the securing tabs was fractured, rendering the tank unusable, after buying a replacement used one, which turned out to be a waste of money, I bought a new tank. £175 !!