Winners of the 2011 Inter-Branch Challenge
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hello :)

Post by svenedin »

ddoherty958 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:57 pm I've just rung round a few insurance companies, and I thought I'd post my valuations in case any other young drivers are looking at insurance estimates. Obviously they'll change, but a I would have liked to see a ballpark figure myself when I joined. I don't have a car yet unfortunately, so the vehicle details I used are on the right.

Footman and James are obviously my best bet, they couldn't give me a MMOC discount estimate till I join, if around the 25% mark like Lancaster I may be able to get my annual payment below £1000, which is good for me, but now we see why younger drivers don't choose classics anymore.

There were also a few quotes from sites like CompareTheMarket, but I didn't include these as they were all up in the 2.8k, 3k range so of no real use to me. Hopefully some people find these useful!
I think it's very much related to being a younger driver. I just had a quote from Adrian Flux for my 1969 convertible. £97 per annum fully comprehensive 3,000 miles. Condition of being kept in a locked garage overnight when at home.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
ddoherty958

Post by ddoherty958 »

Been a while since I updated the forum on my Minor plans, so I'll stick a wee message in here.

I'm going to see a car on saturday, namely this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... bb3757a590 . A member of the MMOC NI branch has agreed to accompany me to check it out. I've also had some underbody pics and it's looking good, but of course it remains to be seen.

If I do go for it, the upgraded seats and heated rear window are nice additions for a daily. I'll need to relocate the head unit to the glovebox and install the all important phone charger, and I've thought about putting some extra dials in the gap left behind the wheel, something like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a1/99/0b/a199 ... olours.jpg , with some trim to match the red interior would be nice. Voltmeter, water temp, oil pressure, anything useful really. Lots of vital info but keeping it looking not too far from stock.

I''ve also been thinging a lot about underbody seal, especailly with the recent cold spell! A good coat of rust nuteraliser, followed by some good thick sealant is top of my list, regardless of which car I get. I've been monitoring the thread in general discussion about daily winter driving pretty closely... let me know your preffered underboy sealer!
1964 2 door Saloon “Percy”
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

Waxoyl was always the most popular back in the day. You can get it spray cans now too.

It's no endorsement but this site has quite a few products and nabbed the best domain name for their website. https://www.rust.co.uk/

You'll no doubt get other recommendations but I expect they are all very similar. Most important is the preparation you do before you go throwing the gunge on.

On the topic of insurance, I was sat with my boy at the weekend comparing insurance prices for cheap old cars. He'll be taking a test in a few months but his mouth dropped when he saw a quote for the minimum amount of cover at €2500 for a 20-year old Opel Corsa selling for €1200! Add road tax, maintenance, fuel costs on top and I do wonder how any apprentice can afford to drive. It helps to live at home and ponse off of me but still, it's an eye-wateringly costly hobby.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
ddoherty958

Post by ddoherty958 »

Thanks for the tips Rocco. That rust stuff does look interesting. I found this tine of Hammerite underbody with added waxoyl that looks good https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paint ... 12460.html if anyone's used it before. For prep I intend to give it a good clean, treat it with rust converter and then apply the sealant.

I forgot to mention that my dad managed to get me a quote to add a morris minor and I to our family insurance plan for aroind £930/year, which is a great quote for any new driver and a car. Couple that with no mileage restriction like I would have from FJ, tax and MOT free car and access to the other cars in the family if I need them, I couldn't seem to ask for a better deal!
1964 2 door Saloon “Percy”