Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

mirrors

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Forgive my ignorance, but can I use wing mirrors as door mirrors, or is the magnnification wrong?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: mirrors

Post by ManyMinors »

Some wing mirrors have flat glass and some have convex but there is no "standard" of this. Therefore, you can do whatever suits you. The readily available and inexpensive "Lucas replica" wing mirrors fit very easily to the Minor window frame on the door and are an ideal accessory. About the best thing I've ever done to my Minor :) The convex glass is a bonus.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

This is what I would be using:-
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/misce ... ex-p831190
As above - fitting a door mirror is a real bonus and to me a much better idea than a wing mirror.

James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I'd imagine that the main problem would be that the arm would be wrong.

I had those clamp on mirrors for years and while they did work, they weren't great. The mounting looked messy, they weren't in the ideal position and they fouled the quarterlights, preventing me from opening them. Your experience may differ, of course.

I now have these fitted and think they are loads better.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/misce ... -h-p831177

I have them fitted to the chrome triangle bits by the quarterlights. They're easy to fit, nice and secure, easy to position and look good.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Like this. They are exactly the same mirror as James shows sold by ESM but they are available on ebay from WH Motor Spares for even less money.
Ebay item: 401741678989.
lucas mirror mounting.JPG
lucas mirror mounting.JPG (111.45 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Thanks Phil. They're the fellas :wink: I must admit that I find them excellent. Wing mirrors are more period correct but can get in the way when you're working on the car and many of us are reluctant to drill more holes in the bodywork than we need to :)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks everyone.

I have got the Lucas ones fitted, but don't like them, especially the near side one, I can't get it in the right place.

Les has got some great ones fitted to his LCV (I wish I could put a picture up!) Sited in the same place but with cut down suspension tie bars as stems.
There are some cheap-ish 5x7 mirrors on ebay that are described as 'wing mirrors' but could be used as door mirrors. I might commit to a pair and cut down some tie bars.... :-?
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

the near side one, I can't get it in the right place
I had that problem with my lucas-style nearside mirror that is fitted to the triangle at the leading edge of the window. I fixed it by making a resin wedge that fits under the mounting face of the arm. It gets the arm to the right angle. The wedge is shaped to match the shape of the base of the arm so it looks quite neat. The mirror gives me a great view now.
Don
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

don58van wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:19 am
the near side one, I can't get it in the right place
I had that problem with my lucas-style nearside mirror that is fitted to the triangle at the leading edge of the window. I fixed it by making a resin wedge that fits under the mounting face of the arm. It gets the arm to the right angle. The wedge is shaped to match the shape of the base of the arm so it looks quite neat. The mirror gives me a great view now.
Don
Maybe you don't have it fitted or adjusted correctly? I have absolutely no problem at all with my Lucas type mirrors and have an excellent view in both of them. The van and pick-up are a different thing because of the width of the rear body, so I understand the need for a longer mirror arm but for a normal Minor car, I find these mirrors are perfect if fitted properly. :wink:
Attachments
lucas mirror view.JPG
lucas mirror view.JPG (218.72 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks.
I think the 'shorter' doors on 4 doors and LCVs pose a problem for the Lucas style mirrors.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I cannot see how? There is no difference at the front of the doors is there. I have the same mirrors on my 4door and they are just as good and work exactly the same :-?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Not so good on an LCV as the rear cargo area is wider, I found a different set up with a longer arm arrangement.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:50 am Thanks.
I think the 'shorter' doors on 4 doors and LCVs pose a problem for the Lucas style mirrors.
ManyMinors wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:42 am I cannot see how? There is no difference at the front of the doors is there. I have the same mirrors on my 4door and they are just as good and work exactly the same :-?
I agree the door sizes doesn't matter, but the back is wider, a bit like towing a caravan... :lol:

Borrowing your photo, with a van and those mirrors, I imagine the view would be something like this...
That's why the Trafficator models have them in an external box.
LCV View.jpg
LCV View.jpg (196.69 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

[/quote]
The van and pick-up are a different thing because of the width of the rear body, so I understand the need for a longer mirror arm but for a normal Minor car, I find these mirrors are perfect if fitted properly. :wink:
[/quote]

IF you read back a post or two I had already said this... :wink:
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Maybe you don't have it fitted or adjusted correctly? I have absolutely no problem at all with my Lucas type mirrors and have an excellent view in both of them. The van and pick-up are a different thing because of the width of the rear body, so I understand the need for a longer mirror arm but for a normal Minor car, I find these mirrors are perfect if fitted properly.
I am capable of fitting a mirror 'properly'. If you stop to think about it, there is not much you can do incorrectly with a mirror fitted in this position. Having said that, I have seen pictures of how yours was fitted and I think you have done an outstanding job. As for adjustment, I even went to the lengths of slightly modifying the socket of the mirror to increase the range of adjustment. I know I am not alone in having this problem with Lucas-style mirrors on the nearside having seen other reports on messageboards. For example, you can find two other owners who have the same problem in this listing viewtopic.php?p=607877&hilit=Lucas+mirror#p607877

Do you think it might be possible that your mirror might be different from other owners? Could they be from a different production batch or even from a different manufacturer and slightly different in the ball and socket design?

It is good to know that you don't have problems with your mirrors. Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion. :roll:

Don
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Not a pretty sight for saloon owners, they have their chrome ones. Just the job for LCVs. Made from a tie rod and associated swivel bolt.
7E64DB2E-678E-4CAA-9DF6-742950D5E3D7.jpeg
7E64DB2E-678E-4CAA-9DF6-742950D5E3D7.jpeg (298.46 KiB) Viewed 2386 times

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As you say Les. Just the job for an LCV. Van drivers need all the vision they can get from decent mirrors :wink:
The ones supplied by BMC were pretty useless.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

don58van wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:04 am
Maybe you don't have it fitted or adjusted correctly? I have absolutely no problem at all with my Lucas type mirrors and have an excellent view in both of them. The van and pick-up are a different thing because of the width of the rear body, so I understand the need for a longer mirror arm but for a normal Minor car, I find these mirrors are perfect if fitted properly.
I am capable of fitting a mirror 'properly'. If you stop to think about it, there is not much you can do incorrectly with a mirror fitted in this position. Having said that, I have seen pictures of how yours was fitted and I think you have done an outstanding job. As for adjustment, I even went to the lengths of slightly modifying the socket of the mirror to increase the range of adjustment. I know I am not alone in having this problem with Lucas-style mirrors on the nearside having seen other reports on messageboards. For example, you can find two other owners who have the same problem in this listing viewtopic.php?p=607877&hilit=Lucas+mirror#p607877

Do you think it might be possible that your mirror might be different from other owners? Could they be from a different production batch or even from a different manufacturer and slightly different in the ball and socket design?

It is good to know that you don't have problems with your mirrors. Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion. :roll:

Don
Don, I imagine it is quite possible that this type of mirror has been produced by more than one manufacturer and that there are some differences. However, the pair on my convertible have been fitted for several years and came from Bull Motif Spares and the pair on my 4 door saloon came from WH Motor Spares - as the ebay link posted by Phil - quite recently. Both pairs seem identical. My suggestion regarding adjustment is because I was recently at a Classic car event and another Minor owner with similar mirrors was telling me that his LH one was "useless". I was surprised and offered to look. He found a screwdriver in his boot and just hadn't realised how much adjustment there is available with the screws slackened off sufficiently and a bit of tweaking. A few moments spent and he was able to see perfectly again.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

les wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:42 am Not a pretty sight for saloon owners, they have their chrome ones. Just the job for LCVs. Made from a tie rod and associated swivel bolt. 7E64DB2E-678E-4CAA-9DF6-742950D5E3D7.jpeg
Beautiful Les.

That is what I am going for!