restoration of my minor convertible

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
glenn1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

restoration of my minor convertible

Post by glenn1 »

hello all

new member here, so be gentle !!!!

i am restoring a 1968 minor convertible, and am just about to try and fit the rear side windows and seals in, the question i would like answered is, do i put some sort of sealer on the rubbers, like a mastic or that type of sealer, or is there nothing around the seals ?

thanks
Glenn
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: restoration of my minor convertible

Post by ManyMinors »

Hi Glenn. When I did the same job on my Convertible, I didn't use any sealant but I did find I had a bit of rainwater leakage. I took them apart again - easy on a Convertible - and used a standard windscreen sealant around the main rubber seal (along the bottom of the glass and the front upright) but didn't bother with the upper seal which is within the upper framework on a Convertible. That cured the leaks on my car so that would be my recommendation :wink:
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

thanks for that, i shall give it a go this week :tu1:
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

hi all
just thought i would put some pics up to show the slow progress i am making on the car
Attachments
IMG_5917.jpg
IMG_5917.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 17493 times
IMG_5913.jpg
IMG_5913.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 17493 times
IMG_5912.jpg
IMG_5912.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 17493 times
IMG_5911.jpg
IMG_5911.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 17493 times
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

That's very nice.
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

thanks, it has been a fun project so far, hopefully i shall fire it up this week, and then make a start on the windows, and leave the interior to the end
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

That's really impressive looking. You must have gotten started on it a while ago to bring it to that stage.

How bad was it before you started the resto and where are you doing it? I spotted what looks like an 02-series in the background of one photo and the facilities look superb, I guess you're a mechanic by trade or a very keen home restorer. :D
1961 Morris Minor 1000
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

hi Rocco

the car was not to bad to begin with, but there was a problem with the right rear spring hanger, so i started there and well i guess you know the rest, it has taken 3 years to get to this stage
the car is at a friends garage and i go over when i can to do work on it, hence the slowness, and no i am no mechanic,

your right it is a 2002 TII also mine, which is going to be brought back to its former glory
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

rear side windows !!!!!

is there a special trick on getting the top rubber to not go into the metal channel ?, maybe its because it was cold today, i dont think the garage

got above 2 degrees today, but every time i went to push the channel on to the seal, the radius went into the channel

need any advice and help, much appreciated
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

Looking superb! Wish my car looked like that!
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

thanks

been reading your posts, i love your car, i dont suppose you have tried taking the rear side widows out ? and have some advice on re-installation ?

oh and by the way, i hope you have recovered from your terrible accident
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

glenn1 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:04 pm thanks

been reading your posts, i love your car, i dont suppose you have tried taking the rear side widows out ? and have some advice on re-installation ?

oh and by the way, i hope you have recovered from your terrible accident
Thank you. I have never tried (or needed) to take the rear windows out. Sorry I am no help. I think you are probably right that the cold weather whilst fitting the rubber seals made it impossible. I was looking at the distributor today and noticed that the rubber connector for vacuum/advance retard had gone so hard with the cold I could not remove it. I left it alone for a warmer day.

Maybe warm the seals up in another room prior to fitting?

I was out in Xavier for a few hours today in -3C for no good reason other than the fun of driving the car. Not with the hood down I might add. Started first time despite the cold (admittedly it was not -3C in the garage but was still rather cold).

Stephen

Stephen
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

yes i think i shall leave that today, as its very cold again today and its snowing !!!!, think i shall move on to the doors today

i used to live in Hersham in Surrey for40 years until my wife wanted to move back to the lakes, where about in Surrey are you ?

well i hope to be out and about in my minor this summer, just really have the brakes to do now, engine runs, all electics work, so its just brakes and the interior to do now
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Hello Glenn,

I am in South Croydon.

Have you considered using silicone brake fluid? Since you are doing a completely brand new system it is the perfect time to switch. My car also had a totally renewed braking system and having had numerous seized cylinders over the years I have changed to silicone. When a rear cylinder seizes at the back with the handbrake on it is an awful job trying to get the drums off and best avoided (I never want to do it again). There are those who say there is a nothing wrong with ordinary brake fluid. They are right providing the car is used regularly and the brake fluid changed at the recommended intervals.

I quite often drive with the hood down in all seasons providing it's not raining. Just need to wrap up warm.

Xavier has done the lakes (a long time ago). He navigated a farm track that a Jeep got stuck on! He also lived in Scotland and had no trouble with hills or the cold.

Stephen
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

hi Stephen

ah south Croydon, we also lived in Westerham, Kent many moons ago for a few years, so i know parts of Croydon

as to your brake fluid question, i have read your posts, and the other people who have commented on it, and yes i am going down the silicon fluid route, as like you i am thinking future for the old girl, and i think silicone gives me the best chance of having little problems with the system

well the car was really good when it was working, strong little engine, and like you, it would go literally anywhere has always been reliable, it was just the rear spring hanger that started me on this journey, it had torn off so that meant a new floor section, and so on, and thats how i find myself in the position today, but i am glad i did it all, it means i have piece of mind, the car will hopefully last a little longer and be in better condition, its been a hard job to do, as i am no mechanic, but i have learnt a lot, and still learning which is good, but i am so looking forward to getting back behind the wheel
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I know Westerham very well. My ancestors are from Brasted. Some great pubs out that way. Titsey Hill is a real challenge in a Minor up or down!

You can be very proud when you get behind the wheel!
Last edited by svenedin on Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

yes Banstead has great pubs, i cant remember the name of the pub, that has the signatures on the wall of the pilots that flew during the war from Biggen Hill, the white swan or white hart i think, and as i spent over 30 years in aviation, it was a great sunday lunch venue, if its still there, i would suggest a great place to take your car out for sunday lunch !!!, but we did love Westerham, a beautiful village
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes it's The White Hart, Brasted that has the Battle of Britain pilots' signatures on a board. A lovely pub in Winter or Summer (big garden). Definitely still there.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

At the White Hart, Brasted today.
DA86E962-12D4-41B6-83EE-03F1126ADD96.jpeg
DA86E962-12D4-41B6-83EE-03F1126ADD96.jpeg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 17274 times

Stephen
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

thats fantastic, hope the food was good, looks a beautiful day down there, Xavier looks great in the car park