Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
uclarge
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

cant crank

Post by uclarge »

as i believe i said before, i built my own engine for my moggie but i went by both the morris workshop manual and restoration manual on building the engine to make sure nuthing went rong! anyways i have a problem i cant crank the engine over even when i use the crank handel! any ideas whats rong? as i dont wana try the starter motor and nacker it out then buy a new one! charly
>Charly, 20yrs Chichester.
Cam

RE: cant crank

Post by Cam »

Did you check the break-away torque when you assembled the crank/pistons/rods? To make sure it was not binding/too slack?

If I were you, I'd take the head & sump off and loosen the main bearing caps and try again. It should rotate fairly freely with a little resistance. If it STILL won't rotate then you might have jammed the cam. You should really check the rotatation as you are building. You'll have to strip it bit by bit until it frees off... :(
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by brixtonmorris »

You rebuilt this engine yourself. when you assemble a machined engine,( or assembling any engine), you must ensure that it is free to rotate after every piece is put back. ie when the main bearings are fitted, you must check that the crank rotates, then with each piston and big end, you must ensure that the engine rotates. every thing must be coated in oil. did you fill the oil pump with oil before you fitted it. will it turn on the handle with the plugs out. it is crucial to ensure free movement as you assemble the engine.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yep - you will need to take it all apart again until you find what is binding. Is it just since you put it in the car that it won't turn over ? If so - take the starter motor off - maybe it is jammed in the ring-gear. Will it turn on the handle now ? If NO, then might be something in the clutch housing jamming the flywheel. So the crucial thing is - did it turn over easily BEFORE you installed it in the car /!
ImageImage