Series MM axle removal

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Series MM axle removal

Post by liammonty »

Hi All,

I need to replace the entire axle in my '52 Series MM. I gather that on the late SII and 1000 cars it's possible to remove the axle from the car with the springs in situ, but for some reason the workshop manual for the MM with Nuffield axle claims that the springs should be removed from the car to get the axle out. Does anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't be able to remove the clamps from the axle and remove it from the car with the springs in place?

Thanks!
MM1949
Minor Friendly

Re: Series MM axle removal

Post by MM1949 »

Hi, I can see no reason why, possibly the added weight of the Nuffield axle, I've removed the rear axle on my 49 with the springs in situ with no problems.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

MM1949 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:02 pm Hi, I can see no reason why, possibly the added weight of the Nuffield axle, I've removed the rear axle on my 49 with the springs in situ with no problems.
Many thanks!
doughicks
Minor Friendly

Post by doughicks »

I need to swap one out later this year and do not plan to remove springs. Anybody know if you can float the backing plates, so there is no need to bleed the brakes.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

doughicks wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:59 pm I need to swap one out later this year and do not plan to remove springs. Anybody know if you can float the backing plates, so there is no need to bleed the brakes.
Can't see why you can't do that. I did it the other week when I took the half shafts out to replace the wheel bearings. Only caveat is that your brake pipes are long enough for you to be able to get the backplate centre over the end of the half shaft and out of the way.
doughicks
Minor Friendly

Post by doughicks »

I intend to try.
Thanks for the encouragement