847 BHN A6 Murder & Heartbeat TV show

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rounddial
MMOC Member: No

847 BHN A6 Murder & Heartbeat TV show

Post by Rounddial »

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, recently whilst watching Heartbeat (series 3 ep9) 40.15, there is an ambulance which appears to sport the same VRM as the James Hanratty A6 Murder Morris Minor.
I can't see how this could be, is it an in joke? :o
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: 847 BHN A6 Murder & Heartbeat TV show

Post by ManyMinors »

Probably just the production team needing to fit some number plates and picking up the nearest to hand.....False plates are often used in film production.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:27 am Probably just the production team needing to fit some number plates and picking up the nearest to hand.....False plates are often used in film production.
Plates used in Film/TV are strictly controlled if on the public highway.
If 'false plates' are required, for whatever reason, then the DVLA have a stock of numbers that they allocate to the production for a limited time. This complies with the letter of the law regarding vehicles being registered to be on the public highway, but they don't appear on the usual databases as they are not actual registrations in the regular sense.
See pages 13/14 of this Met Police Guidance https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets ... london.pdf
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

The number is certainly not on the DVLA database anymore. I wonder what happened to the car itself, a change of plate or scrapped because of its association with the murder?
Best wishes,
Mike.
847 BHN.jpg
847 BHN.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Last edited by jagnut66 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
daveejhitchins
Minor Friendly

Post by daveejhitchins »

Talking about Heartbeat . . . According to the seller, based in Darlington, the gearbox he sold me for £30, came from the Traveller in that very show.

It was reported in good condition - now fitted to my traveller, however, it won't be ready to 'move' until later in the year. In the meantime it will give me the opportunity to refurb my original - 2nd gear damage!

Dave H.