Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dougie212
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Orbital sander advice

Post by Dougie212 »

Hi there

I am setting about the task of sorting my paintwork out soon which seems to be covered in cracking which I assume is from the many layers of paint over the years. My boot was the prime example of layers of paint being thickly applied.

I’ve bought an orbital sander from toolstation, just their cheap one to see how I got on… and although it sort of works, the slightest application of any pressure it’s slows to almost a stop - and by pressure, I mean it practically stops under application of its own weight.

Could I ask what sanders everyone uses and recommends please? I think I’m going to end up doing the whole car so something capable of the job would be good.

Thanks

Duncan.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Re: Orbital sander advice

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I think a random orbital sander is the way to go. They don't just go round on one axis; they vary the orbit so you get a more even effect.

If you can get one that you can slow the speed down and use a polishing mop on, it will be very useful.

I think they are expensive though.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I don’t have a sander specifically for the car but I have a Bosch blue random rotating disc orbital sander for general sanding (doors, floors etc). It’s excellent and certainly doesn’t stop under its own weight!
Last edited by svenedin on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

If you are trying to use a flat-sheet electrical orbital sander, you are using the wrong tool. The random orbital sanders would be a better bet, though I have never used an electric one on car bodywork. You don't need that much pressure but you do need to progress down the grit sizes of the discs.
The air-operated dual-action cicular orbital sanders are far and away the best, but of course you do need a compressor of adequate size.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Thankyou for your responses all!!

I’d been looking at the Bosch blue sander Svenedin.. is yours the battery sander or a mains powered?

@unclealec - I’d seen and read that air sanders were far and away more superior. I am just thinking of the benefits of just taking the plunge and buying an air compressor so I have the availability for other jobs that will inevitably arise. What sort of air pressure/size do you think would be worth getting for things like sanding..??
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Dougie212 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:29 am Thankyou for your responses all!!

I’d been looking at the Bosch blue sander Svenedin.. is yours the battery sander or a mains powered?

@unclealec - I’d seen and read that air sanders were far and away more superior. I am just thinking of the benefits of just taking the plunge and buying an air compressor so I have the availability for other jobs that will inevitably arise. What sort of air pressure/size do you think would be worth getting for things like sanding..??
Mine is mains powered. Very good tool. It’s done a lot of hard work around the house.

Stephen
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Sanding gobbles up a lot of air. You need a bigger one certainly.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

we've got one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gex-40 ... lsrc=aw.ds

not cheap but it performs in a different league to the usual DIY ones. ideally you also need a vacuum cleaner to extract the dust, limits the amount of clogging to the disc.

I have had air sanders but you need an lot of air to get one that works well (think 20cfm+)
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

kevin s wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:15 pm we've got one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gex-40 ... lsrc=aw.ds

not cheap but it performs in a different league to the usual DIY ones. ideally you also need a vacuum cleaner to extract the dust, limits the amount of clogging to the disc.

I have had air sanders but you need an lot of air to get one that works well (think 20cfm+)
That is the one I have. Really excellent

Stephen
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Brilliant!! Thankyou so much!! I’d looked into a compressor and air tools and it was going to work out so expensive, so I’ll definitely be taking myself off down to screwfix..!!

Thankyou!!!