Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Pumping out fuel

Post by Classiccars »

Hi I have a pump that I used to remove gearbox oil.Tried to pump out fuel without luck on the traveller as will be going for engine work.Was wondering if there is something in the filler to stop pumping or maybe the hose is not long enough.Any advise please
simmitc

Re: Pumping out fuel

Post by simmitc »

Nothing in a standard filler to stop you using the hose. Original tanks had a drain plug underneath. If the tank is in good condition then you could use that. The obvious thing is to (a) disconnect the coil (to prevent overheating), (b) remove fuel hose from carburettor and place into a suitable container, (c) switch on ignition. Fuel will be pumped from tank to container.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Very handy will do thanks
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

I have just used the car's petrol pump to empty my tank - ran it untill it was pumping air.
Couldn't believe how little was left in the tank when I finally removed it, about a pint or so!

Alan
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Going to try thank you
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Just don't even think of using a domestic vacuum cleaner to empty a fuel tank.
I heard of a guy in Wales who tried this, and was surprised when his cylinder vacuum cleaner rapidly embedded itself in the wall of the house opposite.
What do you call a device that sucks in petrol and air, compresses it and adds a spark.
In the 1930's Frank Whittle had a good name for it!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

mike1864 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:06 pm Just don't even think of using a domestic vacuum cleaner to empty a fuel tank.
I heard of a guy in Wales who tried this, and was surprised when his cylinder vacuum cleaner rapidly embedded itself in the wall of the house opposite.
What do you call a device that sucks in petrol and air, compresses it and adds a spark.
In the 1930's Frank Whittle had a good name for it!
Pure Darwinism at work... :roll: :roll:

I've recently retired from being an independent chartered H&S practitioner.
Early in Covid, I got a call from a lady managing a small company which made Cocktail Mix for bars, basically flavoured syrups..
The owner, being an 'entrepreneur', wanted to get into making Hand Sanitiser and intended to use the same mixing equipment to mix the sanitiser; he had already brought a 1,000Ltr container of Isopropyl Alcohol.
So I paid them a visit. Luckily she called me before they used a non-Intrinsically safe electric mixer in the Alcohol vapour..... :o
They apparently ended up mixing it in small batches by hand instead, as he wouldn't buy an ATEX rated Mixer at about £3K.
Basil the 1955 series II