Engine number

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine number

Post by Sleeper »

Dear All

Am slightly concerned about the authenticity of an engine number plate, I know new ones can be ordered of Fleabay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393026500254 , but are they the same?
Can someone tell me the height of the genuine Numbers/Letters on the engine plate tag?

Thanks

John ;-)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Engine number

Post by philthehill »

I have to say that if the engine number plate is swopped it is no longer original so the height of the reverse stamped numerals would not give me cause for concern.
At least a manky original engine plate is better than a brand new engine number plate.
A new plate would make me sit up and query why a new plate.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I have one in my hand as I type- the figures are 3/16" high.............
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Some of those that can be bought on eBay are fairly original font. Remember they do need to be reverse stamped. Some of those for sale are conventially stamped and so are obvious. Some others have the incorrect font and size like these ones https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-NUMBE ... ect=mobile

Interestingly, very few of the sellers now demand proof via your v5c. When I was looking for a replacement plates few years ago, you had to provide a copy of your reg certificate or they wouldn't make the plate. Things have obviously got more lax.

Are you worried just because the plate is new ? Or do the numbers not match with those on the v5c ? I've lost count of the number of Morris engine swaps I've done over the years, noting sinister in it, but just keeping cars going. If the key chassis and body numbers match up, I'd be less worried.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Thank you all, looks like a " new " plate has been fitted but with the correct number..

John ;-)