Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Number Plates (size, shape)

Post by geoberni »

philipkearney wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:17 pm I was unsure as to whether the backing plates were a factory figment or left to the whims of the supplying dealer - much like the style of number plate you got.
They are illustrated and listed in the Morris Minor Body Service Parts List, AKD 3542. Note the Pt No as ADA 8891 :-?
Number Plate.JPG
Number Plate.JPG (135.93 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
ESM list it as part No. PAN100 :-?
Moss have it as Pt No. ALK3268 (listed for Austin-Healey, MGA, MGB, TD, TF, Sprite, Midget & MInor)

I think Moss have it right in that it was, at least in principle, a common item across many British marques.
svenedin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:13 am Their standard plates are too long and will overhang the backing plate. This does matter because the backing plate is not just a flat sheet of metal, it has a raised lip. One way around this could be to use the standard 21 3/4" long plate and use adhesive pads on the backing plate accepting that the plate will overhang the backing plate. If screws were used to hold the overlong plate on it would be bowed in the middle unless a packing is used.
I think svenedin's concerns are misplaced, the backing plate has the rolled edge for strength, that doesn't mean the actual number plate has to sit inside it, it fit's the other way around...
You will note on the parts Illustration, item 5 is a 'Piece - Distance', which would fit in behind the Mounting Plate before fixing it to the bracket on the bumper/valance.
Also, it you look at the zoomed in view of the Minor Million on the production line, behind the thumb print on the image, you can see the reflection of the rearward curve on the corner. :wink:
Number Plate 1.JPG
Number Plate 1.JPG (90.53 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
edited to correct a typo I spotted, I'm fussy like that
Last edited by geoberni on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Thank you. Yes it is evident from the zoomed in photo that it does go the other way around. I am incorrect. I had considered this but I was not sure. In that case, the number plate length is not critical. A distance piece is not supplied with the ESM fixings but a spring washer would probably be about right.

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Error. Duplicate

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

svenedin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:19 am Thank you. Yes it is evident from the zoomed in photo that it does go the other way around. I am incorrect. I had considered this but I was not sure. In that case, the number plate length is not critical. A distance piece is not supplied with the ESM fixings but a spring washer would probably be about right.

Stephen
:tu1: I don't have a backing plate on my car, no surprises there, but I would guess at any oversize nut slipped over the bolt would work, just enough to counter the rolling of the edge.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I fitted the new number plate backing plate and the new number plates. For the first time in the 34 years that I have owned the car, it has a backing plate at the font. It definitely holds the number plate more rigid.
IMG_8789.jpeg
IMG_8789.jpeg (3.5 MiB) Viewed 1039 times

Stephen