Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Font valence

Post by Meggie moggy »

all hopefully a easy one that I can't see for looking at.
After getting Meggie back from being resprayed I am slowly putting her back together again.
I gave 2 issues 1 I think I will be able sort tomorrow after reading through the posts on here which is the bonnet alignment.
The main issue I have is the front valence I have replaced the front rubbers that are fitted to the underside of wing before offering up the valance, the valance firs snuggly on the N/S but on the O/S there is a 3/8" gap below the wing before the the valance appears.
I can find no way of adjusting this by looking at.thanks in ad
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
simmitc

Re: Font valence

Post by simmitc »

Could you post a picture please.

Did you check the alignment with a trial assembly before painting?
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi Simmitc
I have had a better look at it today as well as taking it back off and the only thing I can see is the O/S bumper stud appears to lower.
The valence was fine before the respray and the only change is the front cross member was replaced.
Attachments
IMG_20230409_155313_417.jpg
IMG_20230409_155313_417.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1763 times
IMG_20230409_155333_296.jpg
IMG_20230409_155333_296.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1763 times
IMG_20230409_155806_038.jpg
IMG_20230409_155806_038.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1763 times
IMG_20230409_155809_999.jpg
IMG_20230409_155809_999.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1763 times
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Sorry to hijack your post but you have made me realise looking at your pictures that my front bumper appears to be too far forward. What controls the front to back setting, do the studs have some sort of spacer or adjustment ? As you say your seems lower on offside as if the stud is lower. I'm sure a knowledgeable reply will arrive from one of the guru's
20220228_150511.jpg
20220228_150511.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 1720 times
Regards Bill
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

I think you may have to loosen the wing to inner wing bolts (and all the front panel ones) and push the front of the wing down.
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

I think I may have a answer it has been pointed out that as the car is on axle stands at present it may that the body has twisted slightly due to the stands not being in the same position, I am hoping to get the wheels back on this weekend and will then be able to check 🤞
As for your valence Bill all that was on mine and that shows in any of the books is a cup that goes over the end of the stud.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Easy one first: The bumper mounting bar is not adjustable, it is welded into position. As per all the parts diagrams, there is a cup that fits over the end of the thread and then sits over the end of the bar. Spacers can be fitted to move the bumper forwards or removed to move it backwards, but are not usually required. If the cup is fitted back to front, then that would push the bumper forwards.

As to the original problem, I agree that it looks as if the wing is too high or the bumper too low. I am not convinced that the car would or should twist that much on axle stands. If the rest of the car is level, is the bumper level - spirit level, not by wyw. If it all fitted before painting and nothing has been altered, then it has to be an adjustment on the assembly. Perceived wisdom is that doors are fitted and adjusted first to get the gaps at the B-post and roof correct, then front wings adjusted to get the gaps to the doors. Then the front panel and lastly the bonnet. Note: this is assembly order, not repair order - If replaced, the inner wings must bet set correctly so that the bonnet, front wings and front panel all match up. The problem is that everything is interdependent, so if you adjust onbe item, you may need to adjust the rest.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

simmitc wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:18 pm Easy one first: The bumper mounting bar is not adjustable, it is welded into position. As per all the parts diagrams, there is a cup that fits over the end of the thread and then sits over the end of the bar. Spacers can be fitted to move the bumper forwards or removed to move it backwards, but are not usually required. If the cup is fitted back to front, then that would push the bumper forwards..
Looking from the side should the end of the bumper be inline with the wing edge
IMG-20220424-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20220424-WA0008.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
The only other thing is mine is a front valance but I think it's the same :lol:
Sorry meggy moggy :tu1:
Regards Bill
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi Bill
Looking at your picture and refering back to the post that Simmitc posted have you the stud cups on the wrong way round?
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Meggie moggy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:12 pm Hi Bill
Looking at your picture and refering back to the post that Simmitc posted have you the stud cups on the wrong way round?
It's how I got it, so on next visit I will have a look, now I have had the suggestion thanks
Regards Bill
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Meggie moggy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:12 pm Hi Bill
Checked an the cups appear correctly fitted over studs, so not that, maybe bracket shape?
Regards Bill