Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Who owns Quicksilver (YSY 946)

Post by cadetchris »

Who owns the minor called “Quicksilver”

I have seen a few pictures and a lovely article about it, but what has really caught my eye is the boot mounted spare wheel. So if I could find out who owns it now, I’d love to get some more pictures of this lovely mod.

According to the dvla, it had a new v5c on the 18/1/23, so it appears to have been sold and a new owner.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Who owns Quicksilver (YSY 946)

Post by geoberni »

I think you might mean this one, it was discussed over on facebook a couple of months ago, it didn't meet with much positive comment.
There might be some clues in all the comments...
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=19 ... 9162295775
Basil the 1955 series II

cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

Yes, I see the comments were not glowing. But each to their own
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It wouldn’t reduce boot space but actually increase it with the plywood shelf above the spare wheel/petrol tank removed.
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

Not quite as bad as Blackadder's horse
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Surely mounting the spare wheel there makes the boot lid rather heavy to open? Personally I think it looks awful.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

To try and answer the original question rather than commenting on an image that I accept may divide opinion: Chris, contact the Club Office in Derby and ask if they have a record of the current owner. If they do, then they can send your details to the owner and ask if he/she is prepared to contact you. It won't help if the owner s not a member, but it's worth a try. Even the immediate past owner may be able to tell you to whom they sold the car. Good luck.
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

A slight thread drift - I was talking to a track marshal about our Morris Minors at Goodwood recently, and many years ago he put his spare wheel under the bonnet - he removed the existing bonnet strut and made a new one to hold the wheel. He did this to make room in the boot for his camping gear. I seem to remember a number of cars used to have their spare wheels under the bonnet - my friend's Citroen Dyane did, and I think some Fiats.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Pete Bags wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:41 am A slight thread drift - I was talking to a track marshal about our Morris Minors at Goodwood recently, and many years ago he put his spare wheel under the bonnet - he removed the existing bonnet strut and made a new one to hold the wheel. He did this to make room in the boot for his camping gear. I seem to remember a number of cars used to have their spare wheels under the bonnet - my friend's Citroen Dyane did, and I think some Fiats.
Like you say, a bit of a thread drift, but I'll just say that having experience in my younger days, of lifting Land Rover bonnets with the spare on top, it's not anything I would ever remotely consider. It's not easy, admittedly the Minor bonnet is lower, so different geometry involved.
It's a lot of weight to open, having required even more weight adding to make the bonnet strong enough to take the weight of the wheel, but then the hinges aren't designed for the weight either.
Not to mention the heat of the engine stressing the tyre on one side, I've no idea how that would effect it..... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I've had the hinge pins go on my bootlid before from a little rack. I wouldn't trust them with the weight of a wheel and I don't know where one might get stronger ones that look right.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.