Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

MOT - exhaust

Post by myoldjalopy »

Can anyone tell me whether a rattling exhaust due to loose baffles in the silencer is an MOT fail?
Thanks.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: MOT - exhaust

Post by geoberni »

Good Question....
The Exhaust is checked for integrity under section 6.1
Basically, a major leak or is insecure or fumes entering interior/causing a danger to health of persons on board

Under section 8, for noise suppression, there is a part that says 'Any part of the noise suppression system: insecure' is a Major Fault.

So I guess it's an interpretation of 'Insecure', does that only refer to hanging off the car :-?

I think that if the exhaust does not exceed the Noise definition, you are OK. The manual says:
You must use your judgement to assess exhaust noise:
  • during the emissions test for the vehicle
  • rev the engine to around 2,500rpm or half the maximum engine speed if this is lower on vehicles not subject to an emissions test
Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you’d expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.
Without wishing to name names and get the MMOC in trouble, I would say don't take to anywhere that sells exhausts.
They have a vested interest in saying the loose baffle is a Fail..... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thanks for your reply. The phrases "You must use your judgement" and " Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you’d expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition." are obviously open to interpretation. Many stories circulate about how some garages fail a Minor because they are applying criteria for modern cars. The owner then takes the car to a more 'old-time' or classic car garage and it gets a pass! :-?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Personally, I avoid the 'big chains' when it comes to any MOT being done on any of our cars.
Over the years I've had my fill of BS over things 'failing' at places offering a discounted MOT. I'd rather pay the standard fee at my local independent garage.

The issue of the 'Modern MOT' being applied to a Classic was the key reason for the DfT introducing the exemptions.
I read an article a few years back, which unfortunately I can no longer find online, whereby a restored Jaguar was taken for MOT and it failed for the Track Road Ends being 'too loose'.
They appealed the failure because they had just been replaced with NOS TREs; they actually had the TREs examined by an independent engineer who said they were to factory spec of the time and there was nothing wrong with them.
It was just the MOT Tester treating it as a modern car. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

geoberni wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:49 pm
I read an article a few years back, which unfortunately I can no longer find online, whereby a restored Jaguar was taken for MOT and it failed for the Track Road Ends being 'too loose'.
They appealed the failure because they had just been replaced with NOS TREs; they actually had the TREs examined by an independent engineer who said they were to factory spec of the time and there was nothing wrong with them.
It was just the MOT Tester treating it as a modern car. :roll:
When Leyland started using spring loaded steering joint ends we had a tool to compress the ball joint and measure the play with a feeler gauge between two pads, due to number that were being failed for play when within spec. The tool took away any subjective feeling the lift.
Regards Bill