Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Well chums, what would you do?

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I just got some body panels from ESM that are well covered in the usual black paint.

The paint does not rub off with cellulose thinners.

Would you paint over the black paint, or remove it all and apply etch primer to the bare metal?

Thanks. John.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Well chums, what would you do?

Post by ManyMinors »

I don't take a chance with it. I take the black paint off and give everything a good couple of coats of Bondaprimer first - prior to welding. Then, once all the welding is completed I coat it all again and then a couple more coats of something like satin black enamel. After that, a good cavity wax to get into all the inaccessible areas. Many people will also use a stone chip protection over the primer.
If you're going to use a seam sealer around joints etc it is important to prime everything beforehand as seam sealer contains no rust preventative properties.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

It might be worth confirming with ESM what the panels are painted with but almost always it is just a light paint to protect from flash rust and damage in transit. I would recommend taking them back to bare metal and starting from there. Everyone will have their own preferred way, but I'd bare them back with a DA sander and etch prime them first.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks both.